HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV2369
Name:Goodameavy House, Goodameavy Barton

Summary

Late 16th century mansion, rebuilt in the 18th century, then remodelled in the early 19th century and extended later in the 19th century. Although considerably altered, this building constitutes a relatively unusual survival of a good quality courtyard house of which apart from the destruction of the hall range, the fabric itself is relatively intact. The rebuild of the hall range is, as is the present Manor House itself, a good quality building of its period.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 531 646
Map Sheet:SX56SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMeavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMEAVEY
Ecclesiastical ParishMEAVY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56SW/4
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56SW/4/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANSION HOUSE (Constructed, XV to XVIII - 1500 AD to 1799 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Depicted on the Tithe Map as Mansion house, stables etc. (plot 751); part of Goodameavy Barton. Owned and occupied by Edwin Scobell Esquire. The Tithe Map depicts the house in its rebuilt 18th century layout with early 19th century remodelling.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Shown on the late 19th century historic map as 'Good-a-Meavy'. House appears unchanged from the Tithe Map depiction.


Reichel, O. J., 1928 - 1938, The Hundred of Roborough (Walchentona) in Early Times, 97, 102, 108 (Article in Monograph). SDV336618.

The probable site of a medieval estate recorded in the Domesday survey as Mewi, one of four Mewi's held by Juhel at the time. The subsequent history of its possession down to 1428 is given. It gave its name to one of ten tithings in the Roborough Hundred. A portion of the estate of Cadworthy had been granted to Plympton Priory sometime after 1150.


Copeland, G. W., 1945, Fourteenth Report of the Plymouth and District Branch, 121-2 (Article in Serial). SDV339003.

Goodameavy House, near Hoo Meavy Bridge, has a fine pair of granite slip-bar gateposts. It was much altered in the 18th and 19th centuries. It retains portions of a 16th century quadrangle house, probably on the site of an earlier building. All four sides of the quadrangle still stand. The entrance is either through a wide four-centered arch at south-west, or through a gatehouse with similar arch and chamber over at the south-east. The east and south sides are barns, conversions perhaps of parts of the original house. There are remains of 7 large rectangular mullioned 2-light windows in the n wing, and the original moulded rectangular doorway is near the nw corner. To the north is a curious narrow court in which are granite troughs connected with the water supply and what appears to be a butter cooler. Further north are parts of the outer walls and the steps to what was once a terraced garden. In the gardens are a fine octagonal quern, of Roborough Down elvan, and a modern memorial cross on a large, roughly circular granite plinth of ancient workmanship.


Worth, R. H., 1949, The Moorstone Age, Part 1, 328 (Article in Serial). SDV274816.

Goodameavy House. Octagonal quern, of Roborough Down elvan. Has been deepend from 64 milimetres to 229 milimetres. Flour discharged at centre of one side, projecting from which is a spout.


Worth, R. H., 1950, The Moorstone Age, Part 2, 344 pl. E (Article in Serial). SDV336081.


Department of Environment, 1960, Tavistock RD Provisional List, 17 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV220567.

Estimated 1959. Detailed description given. All the buildings of the courtyard are listed.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Modern mapping of Gooameavy Barton depicts the house.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

MEAVY SX 58 SW 8/94 Goodameavy Barton and Manor 21.3.67 House GV II
2 adjoining houses originally one complex. Goodameavy Barton is circa late C16 with C17 alterations and C20 modernisation; the Manor House is a C18 building remodelled in the early C19 and extended later in the C19. Granite rubble walls, with granite dressings to the Barton, stuccoed to the Manor House. Hipped slate roof to the Barton, gabled to the Manor House. The Barton has a large rendered lateral stack at the rear of its left-hand (kitchen) range and a C20 inserted stack to its rar (barn) range. The Manor House has tall rendered axial stacks. The original plan was of a building extending around 4 sides of a courtyard.
The present Manor House is a C18 rebuilding of the former hall range at the front; it was remodelled in the early C19 and extended by a small wing at the right-hand end in the circa mid to late C19. The other 3 sides of the courtyard to the rear retain to varying degrees their original form and comprise the Barton. The range running back from the left-hand side of the Manor House was the kitchen wing. On the rear side of the yard, parallel with the hall range, is a barn which has a gateway through its right end connecting it with a probably stable range on the right side of the courtyard. This range was linked to the right end of the hall range by a gateway arch. The main alterations that have taken place are an apparent partial remodelling of the kitchen range in approximately the mid C17 and the conversion of the rear barn range into living accommodation in the later C20. 2 storeys. Goodameavy Manor forms the front range which has an early C19 almost symmetrical 4-window front with projecting wing at either end and porch to right of centre. Early C19 12-pane hornless sashes. The contemporary porch has flush panelled pilasters, a deep cornice breaking forward over them and a blocking course above; round-arched doorway with moulded arch and imposts and flush-panelled double doors; semi-circular fanlight has intersecting tracery glazing bars as do the arched side-lights; 6 panelled double inner doors have rectangular fanlight above with intersecting glazing bars. The projecting right-hand wing is probably later C19. The kitchen range is behind the left-hand end of the Manor House and has an asymmetrical 4-window front of C17 2-light chamfered granite mullions. These have flat stone arches above and the stonework up to the first floor is coursed in roughly dressed small granite blocks, after which it becomes rubble, still roughly coursed. At the left-hand end is a lean-to C20 porch with stable-type door. The rear of this range abuts higher ground and has C19/C20 outshuts. At the rear of the courtyard, opposing the Manor House range is a long barn, recently converted, which is single storey. On its inner face this range has slit openings and a chamfered 4-centred arched doorway at the left-hand end which is reached by stone steps; there is an archway through its right-hand end. On its outer face is a slit window to its left with in inserted C20 single light casement to its right. A C20 inserted glazed door has been inserted at the left end. To the right of centre is a granite 4-centred chamfered arched doorway with C20 glazed door and C20 casement to its right. At the end of this range the wall continues slightly to incorporate a probablay reused segmental headed chamfered granite doorway at the front of a low passage which has a similar doorway at the rear and is roofed with large slabs of granite. The left-hand end of this range is set back slightly and forms a gatehouse with a large chamfered 4-centred granite arch which has a room above with a small segmental headed light. The wing on the right-hand side of the courtyard behind the Manor House may originally have been a stable range. It has no original openings facing into the courtyard although some have been inserted and subsequently blocked. On its outer face it has 4 partially granite framed slits on the first floor with an inserted loading door at the centre. On the ground floor to the far left is a blocked granite-framed square light. To its right is an inserted C20 casement with an original 3-light chamfered granite mullion beyond it. At the centre is a probably inserted doorway to the right of which is a granite-framed slit with a square granite-framed light beyond it. C19 2 storey lean-to addition at right-hand end. At the right-hand gable end is a blocked segmental headed granite doorway, chamfered with run-out stops; to its left is a blocked 2-light granite mullion window. Blocked doorway with brick arch above. Joining this gable end to the former hall range is a wide chamfered segmental headed granite arch.
Interior of Manor House not inspected but thought to contain fairly complete early C19 joinery. The Barton retains 1 original roof truss in barn range which has curved feet and mortices for threaded purlins. In the former kitchen is a double fireplace arrangement; the left-hand one is particularly wide but its lintel has been removed. Chamfered granite jambs to each with bar and concave stops; the right-hand hearth has a cambered chamfered granite lintel. A large granite square-headed doorway, chamfered with bar and concave stops forms the original entrance to this range from the courtyard. Although considerably altered, this building constitutes a relatively unusual survival of a good quality courtyard house of which apart from the destruction of the hall range, the fabric itself is relatively intact. The rebuild of the hall range is, as is the present Manor House itself, a good quality building of its period.
Listing NGR: SX5318564631

Sources / Further Reading

SDV220567List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1960. Tavistock RD Provisional List. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 17.
SDV274816Article in Serial: Worth, R. H.. 1949. The Moorstone Age, Part 1. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 81. A5 Hardback. 328.
SDV336081Article in Serial: Worth, R. H.. 1950. The Moorstone Age, Part 2. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 82. A5 Hardback. 344 pl. E.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336618Article in Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928 - 1938. The Hundred of Roborough (Walchentona) in Early Times. The Hundreds of Devon. A5 Hardback. 97, 102, 108.
SDV339003Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1945. Fourteenth Report of the Plymouth and District Branch. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 77. A5 Hardback. 121-2.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV107518Part of: Goodameavy Barton (Monument)

Associated Finds

  • FDV3116 - QUERN (XI to Unknown - 1066 AD)

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 9 2018 10:31AM