HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV23711
Name:12 The Quay, Dartmouth

Summary

Merchant's house, 17th century with later alterations, now a shop with flats above. Superficially late 19th century, but the 17th century structure is indicated by jettied upper floors, above a very good late 19th century timber shop front.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 877 513
Map Sheet:SX85SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDartmouth
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishST.SAVIOURS

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX85SE/163
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 387369

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1972, Dartmouth, 34 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV155627.


Stephenson, G., 2001, Archaeological Desk Top Study: Flavel Centre, Dartmouth (Report - Assessment). SDV319967.


Ordnance Survey, 2008, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV340009.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Formerly Listed as: Nos 12 and 13 The Quay. Merchant's house, now a grocery shop with flats above. Probably 1639 on land leased to Edward Spurway, with later 17th, 19th and 20th century modernisations. Mixed construction; thick party walls of local stone rubble, front and back walls of plastered timber-framing; stone rubble stack in right party wall with 19th century brick chimneyshaft; slate roof. Plan: Probably built as left-hand house of a pair with adjoining No.13 The Quay. Built end onto The Quay. Probably one-room plan with stack in right party wall shared with No.13. No early stair and it seems that, by the late 17th century,access to the first floor was from the adjoining properties. By the late 19th century the ground floor had been cleared of any partitions and was converted to a grocery shop which survives little altered. Exterior: 3 storeys with attics; 2-window range. Superficially it is late 19th century, but 17th century structure indicated by jettied upper floors. Ends of the stone party walls corbel out to carry the jetties. They are plastered but, in the right wall, a hoodmould just below the corbelling for the second-floor jetty indicates the survival of a date plaque. Ground floor has very good late 19th century timber shop front with polished marble plinth, plate-glass windows divided by slender turned mahogany standards and with segmental-arch heads containing ventilators in the spandrels, curving windows to central recessed doorway containing a good bottom-panelled glazed door under overlight, fascia with original gilded lettering (it is still the same company) behind glass, large brackets each end to the blind which is still used. Late 19th and 20th century windows above. 2 canted bays on the first floor contain casements without glazing bars, but boxed posts each end may derive from earlier windows. 2 horned 4-pane sashes to the second floor and 20th century tripartite sash without glazing bars above. Bottom corner of the second-floor bressummer carved with an unusual version of bead-and-reel, very early for 1639. Probably contemporary moulded beam to attic floor. Plain tall gable. Interior: All carpentry hidden behind 19th and 20th century plaster and fireplaces blocked but the 17th century house is probably well-preserved. First floor has original ornamental plasterwork overmantel featuring a coat of arms, pegasi, cherub heads, stars and a spray. Corridor behind apparently connecting late 17th century doorways in the party walls both sides. Second floor not available for inspection. Attic shows bottom of principals of an original 3-bay roof. Ground-floor shop is still largely late 19th century with boarded walls and ceilings and still uses some contemporary shelves, drawers etc. History: This is one of a group of merchants' houses built on reclaimed land in a Town Corporation backed scheme to reclaim land for housing and expand the port facilities with the New Quay. This began in 1585, and by the second phase, in the 1630s, this was the most fashionable part of the town, and the surviving 17th century houses here are amongst the best merchants' houses of their period in Devon.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV155627List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Dartmouth. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 34.
SDV319967Report - Assessment: Stephenson, G.. 2001. Archaeological Desk Top Study: Flavel Centre, Dartmouth. Exeter Archaeology Report. Project 4995. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV340009Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2008. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Digital. [Mapped feature: #84167 ]
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV74747Related to: 13 The Quay, Dartmouth (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 13 2013 2:09PM