HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV2385
Name:Cross at roadside in Shaugh Prior

Summary

The monument includes a well-preserved wayside cross formed from a single piece of moderately coarse-grained granite, set into a granite socket stone. Both cross and socket stone are set into the west face of a hedge between a junction of minor roads and the entrance to the former vicarage (called Crossgates on the Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 map), about 150m east of the parish church. Shaugh Prior village cross is an impressive and well-preserved medieval wayside cross, having suffered relatively little damage.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 544 630
Map Sheet:SX56SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishShaugh Prior
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSHAUGH PRIOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56SW/13
  • Old SAM County Ref: 421
  • Old SAM Ref: 24820
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SX56SW16

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WAYSIDE CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Crossing, W., 1892, Old Stone Crosses of the Dartmoor Border, 52 (Monograph). SDV279564.


Masson Phillips, E. N., 1937, The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part I, 305 plate 33 (Article in Serial). SDV240502.

Cross (height estimated to be 2.154 metres) in the village, built into a wall at the road fork, east of the church. Type A. A roughly fashioned cross, of rectangular section with chamfered angles, set in a massive rectangular socket-stone and partly embedded in a wall.


Ancient Monuments, 1959, Schedule (Schedule Document). SDV215073.

Plain cross and shaft in one piece of granite standing in a hedge. Similar to the cross south of Shaden Plantation. (May 1959)


Roper, R. M., 1983, Letter (Correspondence). SDV163314.

Cross in some danger due to partial collapse of earth bank.


Department of Environment, 1984, South Hams, 44 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV336648.

Cross approximately 40 metres west of Vicarage (formerly listed as Cross near Vicarage) SX5443 6308
Wayside cross. Probably medieval. Small granite monolith in the form of a Latin cross. In good condition, but one arm slightly damaged. Plain and without carved decoration. Set on granite base stone which is built into a stone wall.


Ancient Monuments, 1993, The Schedule of Monuments (Schedule Document). SDV126938.

Well-preserved wayside cross formed from a single piece of moderately coarse-grained granite, set into a granite socket stone. Both cross and socket stone are set into the west face of a hedge between a junction of minor roads and the entrance to the former vicarage, about 150 metres east of the parish church. Most of the east face of the cross is not visible, being set against the hedge. The west face of the cross is more or less flush with the hedge. The visible portion of the cross is 1.7 metres high. The shaft is rectangular in section measuring 0.33 metres by 0.25 metres, though it tapers slightly to 0.31 metres under the arms.
The edges of the shaft, arms and head all have chamfers about 50 millimetres wide. There are crude 'stops' under the arms. The head, which has a flat top, extends 0.17 metres above the arms. The arms of the cross, which are aligned more or less north-south, have a total width of 0.65 metres. The south arm extends 0.175 metres from the shaft and is 0.27 metres deep. The north arm extends 0.16 metres and is 0.25 metres deep. An irregular portion, approximately 0.14 metres by 0.13 metres, has been broken off the underside of the south arm. An iron clamp which formerly bound the west face of the south arm to the west face of the shaft has been removed, but a slot is still visible and the end holes have been plugged with cement. A metal clamp has been used in repair on the east side of the shaft. The south arm and part of the head of the cross have been broken off in the past and have been repaired with an iron clamp across the top of the head of the cross, fixed with lead and cement.
The socket stone is of similar granite to the cross. Its visible portion measures 1.06 metres by 0.43 metres by 0.26 metres deep. The stone protrudes from the hedge bank into the roadway about 0.4 metres. The underside of the socket stone, which rests on a composite stone platform, is about 0.7 metres above the road surface.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

'Stone Cross' is depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England, Accessed 29/06/2016 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

The monument includes a well-preserved wayside cross formed from a single piece of moderately coarse-grained granite, set into a granite socket stone. Both cross and socket stone are set into the west face of a hedge between a junction of minor roads and the entrance to the former vicarage (called Crossgates on the Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 map), about 150m east of the parish church.
Most of the east face of the cross is not visible, being set against the hedge. The west face of the cross is more or less flush with the hedge. The visible portion of the cross is 1.7m high. The shaft is rectangular in section measuring 0.33m by 0.25m, though it tapers slightly to 0.31m under the arms.
The edges of the shaft, arms and head all have chamfers about 50mm wide. There are crude `stops' under the arms. The head, which has a flat top, extends 0.17m above the arms. The arms of the cross, which are aligned more or less north-south, have a total width of 0.65m. The southern arm extends 0.175m from the shaft and is 0.27m deep. The northern arm extends 0.16m and is 0.25m deep.
An irregular portion, approximately 0.14m by 0.13m, has been broken off the underside of the southern arm. An iron clamp which formerly bound the west face of the southern arm to the west face of the shaft has been removed, but a slot is still visible and the end holes have been plugged with cement. A metal clamp has been used in repair on the eastern side of the shaft. The southern arm and part of the head of the cross have been broken off in the past and have been repaired with an iron clamp across the top of the head of the cross, fixed with lead and cement.
The socket stone is of similar granite to the cross. Its visible portion measures 1.06m by 0.43m by 0.26m deep. The stone protrudes from the hedgebank into the roadway about 0.4m. The underside of the socket stone, which rests on a composite stone platform, is about 0.7m above the road surface.
Shaugh Prior village cross is an impressive and well-preserved medieval wayside cross, having suffered relatively little damage.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV126938Schedule Document: Ancient Monuments. 1993. The Schedule of Monuments. The Schedule of Monuments.
SDV163314Correspondence: Roper, R. M.. 1983. Letter. Letter. Digital.
SDV215073Schedule Document: Ancient Monuments. 1959. Schedule. The Schedule of Monuments. Typescript.
SDV240502Article in Serial: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1937. The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part I. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 69. A5 Hardback. 305 plate 33.
SDV279564Monograph: Crossing, W.. 1892. Old Stone Crosses of the Dartmoor Border. Old stone crosses of the Dartmoor border. Unknown. 52.
SDV336648List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1984. South Hams. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 44.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #84329 ]
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. Accessed 29/06/2016.

Associated Monuments

MDV48989Related to: Vicarage, Shaugh Prior (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 22 2016 9:26AM