HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV24253
Name:The Old Grammar School, now Cookworthy Museum

Summary

The Old Grammar School, founded by Thomas Crispin 1670. A two storey building of local stone, with a four storey gabled annexe, probably early 19th century. Now a museum.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 734 445
Map Sheet:SX74SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishKingsbridge
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishKINGSBRIDGE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX74SW/126
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 99043

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (XVII to XIX - 1670 AD to 1850 AD (Between))

Full description

Wood, J., 1841, Plan of the Parish and Environs of Kingsbridge (Cartographic). SDV336838.

'Master of Crispins School' shown.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Grammar School' shown. Map object based on this Source.


Department of Environment, 1972, Kingsbridge, 24 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV141018.

Nos 108 and 110 (The Grammar School) 1670, founded and built by Thomas Crispin, local stone two storey three windows to Fore Street. Original entrance arch with tablet over. Three five-light first floor mullion casements.first floor schoolroom has pine panelling. Master's desk with canopy and royal arms above. Four storey gabled stone annexe, probably early 19th century, in tudor style, goes well with the older building which was probably restored at same time.


Department of Environment, 1974, Kingsbridge, 1 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV348724.

Nos 108 to 110 (The Grammar School) shall be amended to read Nos 108 to 110 (The Old Grammar School).


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1985 - 1986, SX74SW25 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV348794.


Born, A. + Tanner, K., 1986, Untitled Source, 20 (Monograph). SDV337657.

Built with panelled school room and master's quarters adjoining. When the premises became inadequate other buildings in the town were acquired until a new school was built in 1931 in Kingsley Road. It is now the Cookworthy Museum.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this Source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV141018List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Kingsbridge. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 24.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336838Cartographic: Wood, J.. 1841. Plan of the Parish and Environs of Kingsbridge. Photocopy.
SDV337657Monograph: Born, A. + Tanner, K.. 1986. Kingsbridge, Devon. A5 Paperback. 20.
SDV348724List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1974. Kingsbridge. Amendment to List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interes. A4 Stapled. 1.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348794Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1985 - 1986. SX74SW25. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.

Associated Monuments

MDV24225Related to: 20 Fore Street, Kingsbidge (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 18 2012 12:03PM