HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV24477
Name:Methodist Church and School, St Peter Street, Tiverton

Summary

Methodist Church and school on the east side of St Peter Street, 1814 with attached school added 1876.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 954 126
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/216
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 485411

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • METHODIST CHAPEL (XIX - 1814 AD to 1876 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, Untitled Source (Ground Photograph). SDV337855.

Other details: Film 319.


Department of Environment, 1972, Tiverton, 44 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV52494.

Methodist Chapel on the east side of St Peter's Street in Tiverton dated 1814. A new portico has been added to the front. Five arched windows at first floor with glazing bars. Rendered central pediment above panelled parapet. Later or altered projection at ground floor with balustraded parapet and central pair of fluted Ionic columns. One of John Wesley's original congregations met on this site.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 811 (Monograph). SDV325629.


Wessex Archaeology, 2003, Blundells Road, Tiverton, Devon: Archaeological Desk Based Assessment, 8, 18 (Report - Assessment). SDV345760.

Other details: Figure 2, site WA 25.


Ordnance Survey, 2007, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV337643.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Methodist Church and attached school. 1814 (datestone), with later alterations, including 1904 (Pevsner) portico across front. Stuccoed, the portico stretcher bond red brick with Bathstone dressings and columns. Roof concealed behind parapet. Attached 1876 (Pevsner) school is Flemish bond brick with stone dressings.
Plan: set back from the road behind a small paved area; rectangular plan with projecting portico along front.
Exterior: five-bay front with pedimented gable, centre three bays slightly broken forward. The later projecting portico has steps up to three recessed open bays in the centre (glazed in the late 20th century) with fluted Ionic columns. The outer bays are brick with stone pilasters and round-headed windows with stone architraves, keyblocks and stone aprons, glazed with square leaded panes. The portico has a stone entablature with modillion frieze, moulded cornice and balustraded parapet with ball finials. The earlier section of the chapel has five round-headed windows, the centre three with recessed arches, the centre window with a keyblock. Above the cornice the centre three bays have recessed panels below the pedimented gable, which has a datestone of 1814. The outer bays have a parapet that ramps up to the gable. The right return is stuccoed and blocked out with two tiers of round-headed windows with glazing bars. The school to the rear is parallel to the street and has a four-window front with an open porch to the left with a deep cornice on columns and a two-leaf door with glazed leaves. Large cornice at first-floor level, the ground-floor windows with nowy-headed cornices on triglyph brackets. Windows glazed with two-pane casements, three panes per light. First-floor windows have continuous nowy-headed cornices with keyblocks and small bull's-eye windows in the spandrels. Fixed 6-pane glazing.
Interior: not inspected but Pevsner records original galleries on iron columns on three sides and a late 19th century organ recess with two Ionic columns in antis.
History: the 1972 description records that one of John Wesley's original congregations met on this site. Pevsner states that the chapel was originally approached by a narrow passage.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 811.
SDV337643Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2007. MasterMap. MasterMap. Digital. [Mapped feature: #84650 ]
SDV337855Ground Photograph: Devon County Council. Devon County Council Conservation Section Collection. Photograph (Paper).
SDV345760Report - Assessment: Wessex Archaeology. 2003. Blundells Road, Tiverton, Devon: Archaeological Desk Based Assessment. Wessex Archaeology Report. 54068.01. A4 Stapled + Digital. 8, 18.
SDV52494List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Tiverton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 44.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 26 2015 2:38PM