HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV24498
Name:48 and 50 St Peter Street, Tiverton

Summary

Pair of town houses, three storey plus basement, possibly originally one late 18th century house. Unusual doorways, probably early 19th century, with incised lines and lion's heads to pilasters.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 953 127
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/237
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 485399

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1972, Tiverton, 52 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV52494.

Nos 48 and 50, St. Peter's Street, 18th century altered, red brick pair, each three storey two windows, flush frame sash with glazing bars (some three-light). Ogee bracket cornice. Unusual doorways, probably early 19th century, with incised lines and lion's heads to pilasters.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Pair of town houses, No.48 now divided into flats and No.50 now divided into offices and flats. 1790s with late 20th century renovations. Brick construction with chimney stack at centre of No.48 and at the right side of No.50. Slate roof.
Plan: No.48 is double-depth and heated by central stack. Dog leg axial stair to left. No.50 double-depth and heated by stack on right side. Dog leg stair to left. Rear lavatory block. Reputedly this pair were originally one house with No.50s front door as the main entrance and a sash window on either side. Presumably once a service block, the structure to left of the house was transformed to provide an albeit recessed match to the existing front when it was divided into two.
Exterior: three storeys plus basements. Modillioned eaves cornice. Now, each house has asymmetrical two-bay front with front doors to left. The doorcases are pilastered with panelled reveals. The pilasters have incised Greek key mouldings with lions heads at the top. There are overlights over both front doors. No.48 has a four-panel front door with the top two panels being glazed. No.50 has 20th century six-fielded panel front door. There are bootscrapers to the right of both front doors. To right of both front doors are a tripartite boxed sash window. The panes are 2/2, 6/6 and 2/2. The first-floor windows over each house are one 12-pane boxed sash window to the left and a tripartite boxed sash window (2/2, 6/6 and 2/2) to the right. The second floor has a 3/6 boxed sash window to the left and a tripartite boxed sash window (1/2, 3/6 and 1/2) to the right. Double banded brick chimney stacks.
Interior: No.50 has an original marble fireplace in the ground floor front room which also has a plaster cornice. There are original through doors to the ground floor back room which have planted mouldings. The stair has stick balusters and a mahogany handrail. Other original features may survive.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #84672 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV52494List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Tiverton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 52.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 14 2012 3:30PM