HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV24505
Name:The Elms, Station Road, Tiverton

Summary

Mid 19th century L-shaped house, with southern wing extended or replaced, and extension added to north-west, in early 20th century. Southern wing a separate dwelling and not listed.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 958 125
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/244
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 485422

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XIX to XX - 1801 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

'The Elms' shown as an L-shaped building, with the southern wing (now occupied by Oakdale House) attached to the south end of the south-east elevation. This has a bay window at the north end and a possible entrance at the south end with a path leading from Blundell's Road. The extension on the north-west elevation is not shown. Map object based on this Source.


Ordnance Survey, 1930 - 1939, Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV336668.

Building shown with southern wing extended to north-east elevation of main house, but north-west extension not shown.


Department of Environment, 1972, Tiverton, 55 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV52494.

The Elms, Station Road, 18th or 19th century. Stuccoed house. Steep slate hipped roof with wide eaves. Two storeys, three windows, sashes with margin lights, without glazing bars. Band at first floor level. Semi-circular arched window at centre of first floor. Central open porch with Adam type Tuscan columns, and entablature with wide cornice, fielded panel door with elliptical arch fanlight, moulded architrave with panelled reveals. Lower two storey late 19th century roughcast wing to left. Oakdale house (not listed) adjoins on right.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this Source.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Detached house, empty at time of survey. Circa 1840s with circa 1900 alterations. Mass wall construction, stuccoed and blocked out; hipped slate roof; stacks dismantled.
Plan: an unusual plan, for the size of the building: two rooms wide, but in effect only one room deep, since the front portion of the house consists of a an axial passage containing the stair. There is no evidence for the former kitchen in the main range and presumably a service wing is missing.
Exterior: two storeys and cellar. Symmetrical three-window front with platband at first-floor level. Central porch with Tuscan columns with fluted capitals; deep dentil cornice. Six-panel door with segmental-headed fanlight in doorcase with panelled reveals. Tripartite sash window with four-pane sashes in the centre and two-pane sashes in the outer lights. First floor centre window is round-headed with six fixed panes. To the left a lower, probably later, block has a two-window front with four-pane and two-pane sashes. The rear elevation had French windows but has been rather mutilated for industrial use.
Interior: retains features of interest including a stick baluster stair rising axially along the front wall with stick balusters and a ramped wreathed handrail. Moulded doorcase with flower motifs; six-panel door; plater cornice; chair rail; shutters. Right-hand rear room gutted for industrial storage. The lower-roofed block contains stairs down to the cellar. A front right wing (Oakdale) is a separate property and not part of the listing. It may have originally been an Edwardian wing replacing an earlier service wing.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336668Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1930 - 1939. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV52494List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Tiverton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 55.

Associated Monuments

MDV89111Related to: Boundary Walls to the Elms and Oakdale, Blundells Road, Tiverton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 15 2012 11:01AM