HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV24651
Name:The Market Hall, Fore Street, Tiverton

Summary

Early 19th century market hall, originally open on both long sides, with a two storey central square tower. The tower has an octagonal cupola, and clock faces to north and south.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 954 126
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS91SE/190
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 485287

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MARKET HALL (XIX - 1830 AD to 1876 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

Market House shown extending further to the north. Map object based on this Source.


Ordnance Survey, 1971, SS91SE (Cartographic). SDV337101.

Market building shown.


Department of Environment, 1972, Tiverton, 33 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV52494.

Market hall, and range of low booths, East Market, 1831. Long rectangular building with timber roof, trusses on timber and cast iron supports. Ridge lanterns stop against central two storey square brick block with good octagonal cupola and clock faces. The brick filling and glazing enclosing the hall is probably mainly later. Parallel, to west, remains a range of pig pens and open booths with slate roof, the front resting on slender cast iron clustered columns.


Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 200-201, 203 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.

The original market site was probably located along Fore Street. Additional market areas were defined as the town grew and a market house was erected in Bampton Street in 1562 and in 1820 the market was moved off the public streets onto the site of the town bowling green in the centre of the settlement.


Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J., 1989, An Archaeological Assessment of the Tiverton Market Square Redevelopment Scheme, 4 (Report - Assessment). SDV336544.

Opened June 1830.


Mid Devon District Council, 1995, Tiverton Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Preliminary Application, 5 (Un-published). SDV346055.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this Source.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Market hall, still in use as vegetable and flea market. 1830-1831; renovations and alterations of 1876 (Snell). Architect unknown to date. Timber and cast-iron; natural slate roof; painted stretcher bond brick infill.
Plan: long, rectangular 21-bay market hall, originally open on both long sides with a central, two-storey square tower with upper room. The sides of the hall have been infilled, probably in 1876. The market hall, assigned to butchers, poultry and gardeners stood adjacent to the cattle market to the north (now a car park) and one range of covered booths (separately listed) survives on the west side.
Exterior: single storey with two-storey tower in centre. The hall has solid end walls with coped gables with kneelers. A continuous glazed lantern along the ridge stops against the tower. The tower is roughcast with a hipped roof with lead rolls and an octagonal cupola of tapering timber columns supporting an octagonal louvred bellcote with round-headed openings and an ogee lead roof with weathervane. The tower has segmental-headed first floor timber windows. The west side window is glazed as a tripartite sash of nine over six panes with fixed flanking lights, the east side window is a four-light casement with glazing bars. Clock faces to north and south are fixed to solid panels which are roofed across to the tower. The clock faces are dated 1830 and by Tucker of Tiverton. The long walls of the hall are stretcher bond brick with continuous glazing above with timber louvres above the glazing. The original 1830-31 cast-iron columns are buried in the walls. They are very slender with engaged shafts and pretty moulded capitals and bases, similar to the surviving columns of the detached market booths to the west. The south end wall is blind with a 20th century window. The main entrance is on the north end which has a segmental-headed arched doorway with chamfered brick imposts, doorway now converted to a window. To left of centre a wide moulded cornice survives with a door flanked by windows below. To right of centre there is a doorway and one window. There are additional entrances on the long sides in the centre, against the tower. These are segmental-headed with gables treated as pediments with timber moulding; two-leaf doors and segmental-headed fanlights with vertical glazing bars. The tower retains segmental-headed ground-floor windows (now internal) glazed with small-pane timber casements.
Interior: on either side of the tower the hall has two rows of axial timber posts. The roof is now concealed by a false ceiling but the 1972 list description reports "timber roof, trusses on timber and cast-iron supports".
History: according to Snell the Tiverton Market Act received assent on 10 June 1825 although the market was not opened until 8 June 1830, total cost was £8,392. Before it was built marketing was carried out in the streets. The buildings were in a bad sate in 1876 and "practically rebuilt" at a cost of about £2,000. (Snell FJ: The Chronicles of Twyford: 1842-: 269-270).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336544Report - Assessment: Turton, S. D. + Weddell, P. J.. 1989. An Archaeological Assessment of the Tiverton Market Square Redevelopment Scheme. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 89.07. A4 Stapled + Digital. 4.
SDV337101Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1971. SS91SE. 1:10,000. Map (Paper).
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV341346Report - Survey: Timms, S. C.. 1976. The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital. 200-201, 203.
SDV346055Un-published: Mid Devon District Council. 1995. Tiverton Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Preliminary Application. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 5.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV52494List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Tiverton. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 33.

Associated Monuments

MDV89356Related to: Market Booths West of Tiverton Market Hall (Building)
MDV24595Related to: The Market House, Bampton Street, Tiverton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 18 2015 3:05PM