HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV25982
Name:Leat to Bachelors Hall Mine


Remains of a post medieval leat which supplied water for the stamping mill at Bachelors Hall Mine. An archaeological field survey in 1989 identified the probable start of the leat above Oakery Bridge. It survives as a 1.8 metre wide, 0.6 metre deep channel with an earthen bank on the lower side.


Grid Reference:SX 601 737
Map Sheet:SX67SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: SX67SW259
  • National Record of the Historic Environment: 620435
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX67SW/197

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • (Former Type) DITCH (Early Medieval to XXI - 1066 AD (Between) to 2009 AD (Between))
  • LEAT (Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD (Between) to 1901 AD (Between))

Full description

Royal Air Force, 1947, RAF/CPE/UK/2149, 4433 (Aerial Photograph). SDV282746.

Hemery, E., 1983, High Dartmoor, 389 (Monograph). SDV249702.

Water for the Bachelors Hall Mine Leat was taken from the Blackbrook River just above the B3213 road at Ockery (sic) Bridge and now flows beneath the road.

Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1985, Aerial Photograph Project (Dartmoor) - Dartmoor Pre-NMP (Cartographic). SDV319854.

SX 6000 7379 Short length of ditch visible (1947 aerial) running in a north-westerly by south-eastery direction.

Royal Commission for the Historical Monuments of England, 1987-1993, Duchy Farms Project Survey Visit (Report - Survey). SDV350839.

(24/04/1989) This leat probably commenced at SX 59347424 above Oakery Bridge at 381m OD. It enters Tor Royal Farm at SX 59687410 and is cut into the steep NE valley slope along the 380m contour; here it is 1.8m wide, 0.6m deep with a strong earthen bank on the lower side. It has been ploughed down between SX 60027375 and SX 60057359 as it crosses the inbye at 379m OD. From here its course cannot be traced but it probably follows the track along the 378m contour to the upper side of an earthen launder bank above a well-defined wheel pit
(SX 67 SW 265). It was presumably built to supply the power for the tin-stamping mill here.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV249702Monograph: Hemery, E.. 1983. High Dartmoor. High Dartmoor. Hardback Volume. 389.
SDV282746Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1947. RAF/CPE/UK/2149. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 4433.
SDV319854Cartographic: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1985. Aerial Photograph Project (Dartmoor) - Dartmoor Pre-NMP. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England Aerial Photograph P. Cartographic.
SDV350839Report - Survey: Royal Commission for the Historical Monuments of England. 1987-1993. Duchy Farms Project Survey Visit. Royal Commission for the Historical Monuments of England Archaeological Survey. Unknown. [Mapped feature: #133401 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV4735Part of: Bachelors Hall Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV18232Related to: Leat south of the Blackbrook River (Monument)
MDV131690Related to: Leat to Bachelors Hall Mine, Princetown (Monument)
MDV12972Related to: STAMPING MILL in the Parish of Dartmoor Forest (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV8628 - Tor Royal Farm Duchy Farms Survey
  • EDV8409 - Dartmoor Royal Forest Project

Date Last Edited:Oct 18 2021 1:33PM