HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV2652
Name:Beaford Bible Christian Chapel


Chapel built in 1838.


Grid Reference:SS 554 149
Map Sheet:SS51SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBeaford
Ecclesiastical ParishBEAFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS51SE/15
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BIBLE CHRISTIAN CHAPEL (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Thorne, R., 1975, The Last Bible Christians. Their Church in Devon in 1907, 69 (Article in Serial). SDV15286.

Chapel. Opened 1869. School and cottage.

Department of Environment, 1989, Beaford (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV321165.

Beaford Methodist Church, Chapel - Cottage and adjoining railings
Methodist chapel with adjoining manse and railings. 1838, enlarged and probably altered in 1869 with further minor internal alterations of the 1930s. Minor late C20 additions. Rendered, probably over stone rubble, lined as ashlar to front. Gable- ended Welsh-slate roofs with tiled ridge cresting. Lean-to roof over school room at rear. Brick end stack to left. Cast-iron railings on low rendered wall.
Plan and development: Chapel to right with front entrance at right-hand end and one-room plan former manse to left with integral end stack and entrance to right. School room added to rear of chapel in 1869. Further 1869 additions probably include the gabled porch to the chapel and the railings adjoining the front. The porch to the manse and the minor addition of an outshut to the left-hand end were probably all added at some time in the C20. The chapel is in a Gothick style. Two-storey former manse.
Exterior: Chapel and manse with flanking pilaster strips. Chapel has 2 Gothick small-paned (4 x 5 panes) windows with old glass, curved ntersecting tracery and slate cills. Doorway to right has C19 door (probably c.1869) with 4 recessed moulded panels, and beaded wooden frame. Gabled porch with segmental-arched entrance and scalloped barge boards. Manse has sash to each floor with 3-panes to each leaf (probably replacements of c. 1869 - see horns), and slate cills. C19 boarded door to right with beaded frame. Probably C20 porch with boarded gable. Small Gothick window on right-hand gable end, lighting gallery, with small panes (4 x 5) and intersecting tracery. Lean-to addition at rear of chapel has boarded door in side wall. Cast-iron railings to front, on low wall with chamfered stone coping. Pair of cast-iron gates, one leading to each doorway, each flanked by cast-iron standards with moulded finials. Railings with superscribed lettering: "T. LAKE & CO. BARNSTAPLE". Walls linking to chapel at each end.
Interior of chapel: Plastered walls with splayed jambs to windows. Two small-paned (4 x 5 panes) windows of 1838 in rear wall with curved intersecting tracery. Ceiling probably dating from the 1930s, replacing ceiling (probably of 1838) with central plaster rose. Ceiling higher over gallery. Fittings probably mostly dating from the 1869 internal remodelling. West gallery of 1838 supported on 2 wooden Tuscan columns with pilasters at each end, and front with beaded lower edge, raised and fielded panels divided by half columns, and moulded top rail. Two central panels pierced. Raked seating, and staircase to rear (probably of 1869) with closed string, rectangular sections stick balusters, and turned foot newel with finial. Reading desk at left-hand end (probably 1869) with 3 panels to front, centre broken forward, and steps up from each side, each with closed string, rectangular-section stick balusters, and square foot newel with chamfered corners. Panelled dado partly replaced by later matchboarded dado, probably of 1869. Mid C19 benches. Four-panelled mid C19 door into school room at rear. Most of the woodwork has C19 graining.
The 1838 chapel was built at a cost of £220 16s (accounts). Historical information taken from paper cutting recording the one hundredth anniversary of the building of the chapel (1938). Other details: LBS number 91668.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV15286Article in Serial: Thorne, R.. 1975. The Last Bible Christians. Their Church in Devon in 1907. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 107. A5 Paperback. 69.
SDV321165List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1989. Beaford. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Mar 19 2015 2:26PM