HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV27193
Name:Cider House, Cellar, Stable and Wash House, Osmore Farm

Summary

A 17th-19th century cider house, cellar, stable, and wash house.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 263 046
Map Sheet:ST20SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishMembury
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMEMBURY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST20SE/39/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CELLAR (XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1880 AD (Between))
  • CIDER HOUSE (XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1880 AD (Between))
  • STABLE (XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1880 AD (Between))
  • WASH HOUSE (XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1880 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1984, 62: Part of East Devon, 130 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV326854.

Barn immediately west of Osmore Farmhouse, Osmore Lane. Circa 18th century rubble barn. Corrugated iron roof with gabled ends.


Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, BH151.4 (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

Cider House, cellar, stable, and wash house. Later used as a cider house; riding horse stables. A long gable-ended building which is terraced into the hillslope to the north and to its rear (west). It was originally lofted throughout, and had a lower roof. The lower end has been used as a riding horse stable and the upper sections were later adapted to use as a cider house and cellar. A lack of features makes it original purpose difficult to discern. An external drain indicates that the lower section at least, was used to house animals. In the 19th/early 20th century the farm had 6 acres of orchard. Cider was made commercially and sold to Whiteways. A lean-to wash house was built between 1840-1889 on the front of the upper (north) end. The Tithe map shows a structure to the rear of the cider house, which could have been a horse engine house. Limestone; rubble stone, brick / concrete block repairs to the walls. The quoins are limestone. Where the walls have been built up to take a new roof, the quoins change to red brick. Windows which have been adapted or inserted in the 19th century have red brick dressings. The lower (south) gable end is enclosed with corrugated iron above the tops of the side walls. The chimney shaft to the wash house is red brick. Corrugated iron roof. A-frame; cruck truss. 7-bays. In the walls of the riding horse stable there are posts from an earlier and lower, jointed cruck roof. The present roof is a late 19th/early 20th century replacement A -frame roof. The trusses have notched, mortise and tenon apexes. The first truss (south end) has a mortise and tenon collar. The second truss has a bolted, lap jointed collar. There are secondary, bolted, lap-jointed strengthening timbers acting as ties. There are three sets of trenched purlins and a double ridge. Door/s; drain hole/s; loading hatch; timber window/s. The west front has an upper and lower doorway. The lower doorway to the riding horse stable, has a replacement 2-flap door in a solid, pegged frame. The upper doorway, to the cider house, has a plank door held on strap hinges with teardrop finials, in a solid, pegged frame. A plank door in the upper gable end, at ground level, is held on strap hinges with arrowhead finials. The doorframe is solid and pegged. To the front, at first floor level, there is an inserted loading hatch with a plank door held on strap hinges. At ground floor level, to the left of the upper door, there is a timber casement window. To the rear there are three windows, with timber frames, but they are unglazed. In the upper gable end, there is an inserted first floor casement window with a pegged frame. The lower gable end has an inserted loft hatch, which is now door less. There is an external drain at ground level through the lower gable end. The wash house has an original plank door held on strap hinges and a timber casement window with a pegged frame to the side. It has been built over an originally external window in the cider cellar. Apple loft; cobble floor; fixed ladder. The building was once lofted throughout, but the lower 2 bays (south) are now unlofted. Only the stubs of a huge crossbeam in the walls of the lower section remain. The upper section has a replacement loft floor, which is slightly higher than the original. Three original crossbeams (which are now augmented by later crossbeams) show that the original joists were housed in sockets in the tops of the beams. In the two upper bays, the beams and joists change direction, and a large central axial beam stretches from the last crossbeam to the north end wall. It is broadly chamfered and has runout stops. There is a smaller, second axial beam close to the front (west) wall. The joists have been raised to the rear of the central section, to accommodate a cider press. The internal space is divided into 4 sections by timber partitions. The south partition is a full height 20th century construction. The other three partitions have horizontal timbers below and timber uprights above. The lower 2-bay section, which has been used as a riding horse stable, has a cobbled floor, a drain and kerbstones around the door. The next, one-bay lofted section, is reached through a ledged, plank door. It has a fixed ladder to the loft and a cobbled floor. The central 2-bay section once housed a cider press. The last 2-bays were the cider cellar. Currently disused.


Thorp, J., 2003, Osmore Farm, BH151004 (Ground Photograph). SDV352191.


Thorp, J., 2003, Osmore Farm, BH151022-BH151024 (Un-published). SDV352192.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Barn immediately west of Osmore Farmhouse.

Barn. Circa 18th century rubble barn. Corrugated iron roof with gabled ends. Modern roof structure but included for group value.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV326854List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1984. 62: Part of East Devon. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 130.
SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. BH151.4.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #85643 ]
SDV352191Ground Photograph: Thorp, J.. 2003. Osmore Farm. Blackdown Hills Historic Farmstead Survey. Digital. BH151004.
SDV352192Un-published: Thorp, J.. 2003. Osmore Farm. Blackdown Hills Historic Farmstead Survey. Digital. BH151022-BH151024.

Associated Monuments

MDV104859Part of: Osmore Farm (Monument)
MDV27194Related to: Barn, Osmore Farm (Building)
MDV104905Related to: Cart Shed, Osmore Farm (Building)
MDV104909Related to: Cart Shed, Osmore Farm (Building)
MDV104914Related to: Cattle Shed, Osmore Farm (Building)
MDV20559Related to: Farmhouse, Osmore Farm (Building)
MDV27195Related to: Garden Boundary Wall, Osmore Farm (Building)
MDV104907Related to: Granary, Osmore Farm (Building)
MDV104916Related to: Lean-To Cattleshed, Osmore House (Building)
MDV104913Related to: Pig Sty, Osmore Farm (Building)
MDV104915Related to: Shippon, Osmore Farm, Membury (Building)
MDV104901Related to: Stable, Osmore Farm (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 17 2013 2:17PM