HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV27565
Name:Tuckers Arms Inn


Public house, 16th or 17th century, plastered cob and stone rubble with a thatched roof, and a semi-circular oven with a thatched roof to the side of the doorway. Stable range adjoining at a right angle to the north is probably 18th century.


Grid Reference:ST 248 004
Map Sheet:ST20SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDalwood
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSTOCKLAND

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST20SW/119
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 87954

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • INN (XVI to XVIII - 1501 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Chapman, G. M., 1978, The History of Dalwood, 7 (Monograph). SDV351909.

Chapman, G. M., 1983, Dalwood, A Short History of an East Devon Village, 18, 32 (Monograph). SDV351908.

After the church the oldest building in Dalwood is the Tucker's Arms, some parts of which are probably 14th century in age. Reconstruction work in recent years has revealed old cob walls, timbers and lath and plaster work of medieval type. Could have been a building belonging to the lords of the manor. The through passage from front door to back, suggests that it could have been a farm at sometime. The little round structure with thatched roof on the right of the entrance is a bread oven. The arms shown on the inn sign have been identified by A. Reed as those of William Tucker of Old Westwater beside those of his wife Agnes Hollings whom he married in 1686. Known originally as the New Inn, the name was changed possibly in the 19th century.

Department of Environment, 1984, 62: Part of East Devon, 89 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV326854.

Public house. C16/17. Plastered cob and stone rubble with thatched roof with half hipped end. One storey and attic. Four window range. Circa C19 three and four light wooden casements with glazing bars. Semi-circular oven with thatched roof to side of doorway, off centre, leading to cross passage with plank door. Stone central ridge chimney stack and external end stack with brick top stage. Interior: stopped chamfer ceiling beams and bressummer to open fireplace. Jointed cruck trusses. Including stable range adjoining right angle to north; circa C18, painted stone rubble with corrugated iron roof with gabled ends. Two storeys, five window range. Ground floor cart entrance with double doors and loft door above. First floor casements are with leaded panes.

Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV326854List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1984. 62: Part of East Devon. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 89.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #85786 ]
SDV351908Monograph: Chapman, G. M.. 1983. Dalwood, A Short History of an East Devon Village. Dalwood, A Short History of an East Devon Village. A5 Paperback. 18, 32.
SDV351909Monograph: Chapman, G. M.. 1978. The History of Dalwood. The History of Dalwood. Paperback Volume. 7.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Oct 9 2013 3:14PM