HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV277
Name:St. Giles in the Wood, East Dodscott Farmhouse


16th century house with major mid and late 17th century improvements


Grid Reference:SS 545 196
Map Sheet:SS51NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSt. Giles in the Wood
Ecclesiastical ParishST.GILES IN THE WOOD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS51NW/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (VIII to Post Medieval - 701 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Risdon, T., 1811, Choreographical Description of Devon, 1580-1640, 275 (Monograph). SDV20653.

Lysons, D. + Lysons, S., 1822, Magna Britannica, 247 (Monograph). SDV323771.

Alleged site of medieval mansion. Doddescott was in the reign of Henry III the property of Sir Thomas Herward.

Brooking-Rowe, J., 1900-1901, The Monument of Thomas Chafe in the Church of St. Giles in the Wood, near Great Torrington, 129 (Article in Serial). SDV20640.

Reichel, O. J., 1928 - 1938, The Hundred of Fremington in Early Times (Article in Monograph). SDV20648.

Dodscott was Dodecota in Domesday. It was held by Walter Borgoin of Goscelm. It takes its name from Dodo, or Dode, the Saxon who held it before the Conquest. Early descents given. Other details: 499,513,519.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1953, SS51NW5 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV20647.

South Dodscott is modern. No building of Dodscott could be detected as incorporating the remains of an ancient building. No likely building platforms were noticed in the area around the present buildings.

Alcock, N. W., 1968, Devon Farmhouses Part 1, 18 (Article in Serial). SDV20645.

Dodscott/Doddescott House. Formerly the home of Thomas Chafe, brother-in- law of Tristram Risdon, who died there in 1648. Now much altered from original three room and cross passage plan. Rear room added sixteenth century making a 'T'-plan. Other details: Fig 6.

Department of Environment, 1989, St. Giles in the Wood (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV655.

East Dodscott Farmhouse. 16th century with major mid and late 17th century improvements, modernised in the late 19th century. Plastered local stone rubble including sections of cob; stone rubble stacks topped with 20th century brick; asbestos slate roof, formerly thatch. Plan and development: The main block faces south. It has a 4-room-and-through-passage plan. At the right (east) end is an unheated dairy with part partitioned off as a pantry. Next is the passage, then the hall with an axial stack backing onto the passage. The hall and parlour are separated by an entrance hall containing the main stair and the parlour at the left (west) end has a gable-end stack. A 1-room plan kitchen block projects at right angles to rear of the lower end overlapping the back of the passage. It has a gable-end stack. Most of the structure is hidden by 19th and 20th century plaster but it seems that the present layout is the result of a major late 17th century refurbishment of an earlier house. The parlour is a late 17th century extension and at the same time the former inner room was converted to the entrance lobby. The roof of the main block was replaced at the same time and therefore there is little exposed evidence of the 16th century house. Nevertheless it seems likely that the original house had a 3-room-and-through-passage plan and was probably some kind of open hall house. The kitchen is a mid 17th century extension. Farmhouse is 2 storeys. Exterior: Irregular 4-window front of late 19th and 20th century casements and the pantry and dairy windows are still unglazed. Passage front doorway is right of centre and contains a 20th century part glazed plank door. The entrance lobby doorway is left of centre and it contains a 19th century 6-panel door behind a 20th century porch. The roof is gable-ended. To rear the kitchen doorway has a mid 17th century oak doorframe with chamfered surround. Interior shows largely the result of 19th and 20th century modernisations although the earlier layout is well-preserved. Little carpentry detail is exposed and all the fireplaces are blocked by 20th century grates. The kitchen has 2 chamfered crossbeams with straight cut stops. The main stair is 19th century with stick balusters. The parlour includes a couple of good late 17th century cupboards, one each side of the fireplace. They are round-headed with fielded panel doors, shaped shelves and coverstrips on the head looking more like a sunburst than the more usual shell head. There are couple of contemporary 2-panel doors on the first floor and a good early-mid 17th century door between the hall and passage chambers; small field panels and cockshead hinges. Late 17th century roof over main block is carried on A frame trusses with pegged lap-jointed collars. The large-framed crosswall over the lower side of the passage is earlier, probably 16th century; it is not smoke-blackened. Kitchen block has a 2-bay roof carried on a 17th century truss. Its principals have curved feet. East Dodscott, alias Doddescott House was Dodecota in Domesday. Former home of Thomas Chafe. Other details: LBS number 91808.

Slatcher, D., 2007, Deep Moor IVC: Desk Based Assessment (Report - Assessment). SDV339133.

Other details: Appendix.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV20640Article in Serial: Brooking-Rowe, J.. 1900-1901. The Monument of Thomas Chafe in the Church of St. Giles in the Wood, near Great Torrington. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 1. Unknown. 129.
SDV20645Article in Serial: Alcock, N. W.. 1968. Devon Farmhouses Part 1. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 100. A5 Hardback. 18.
SDV20647Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1953. SS51NW5. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV20648Article in Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928 - 1938. The Hundred of Fremington in Early Times. The Hundreds of Devon. A5 Hardback.
SDV20653Monograph: Risdon, T.. 1811. Choreographical Description of Devon, 1580-1640. Choreographical Description of Devon, 1580-1640. Unknown. 275.
SDV323771Monograph: Lysons, D. + Lysons, S.. 1822. Magna Britannica. Magna Britannica: A Concise Topographical Account of The Several Counties o. 6: Devonshire. Unknown. 247.
SDV339133Report - Assessment: Slatcher, D.. 2007. Deep Moor IVC: Desk Based Assessment. RPS Leeds Report. DLE 1052. Digital.
SDV655List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1989. St. Giles in the Wood. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV3528 - SS51NW5
  • EDV4280 - Deep Moor IVC

Date Last Edited:Sep 4 2007 10:40AM