HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV28057
Name:Ruined building at Western Whitebarrow

Summary

Building constructed from the stones of the Western Whitebarrow cairn by the workers at the Redlake peat ties, mid-19th century. Length 9.5 metres, width 3.0 metres, inner faces only.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 653 654
Map Sheet:SX66NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
Civil ParishSouth Brent
DistrictSouth Hams
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH BRENT

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX66NE/19/2
  • Old SAM County Ref: 1010

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BUILDING (XIX - 1847 AD to 1850 AD (Between))

Full description

Crossing, W., 1912 (1965), Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor, 372 (Monograph). SDV320981.

Petre’s Cross was partly destroyed by the workmen employed at the turf ties at Red Lake Mires, but a portion of the shaft may still be seen. The men, who mostly lived at or near Brent, built a house on the cairn, the foundations of which are still observable, and here they remained during the week. Dried heather and straw formed their bedding and when their supplies of food were running short, or they desired a change of diet, they made incursions into Huntingdon Warren. Men who worked there told me of the large number of rabbits they have seen prepared for dinner or supper.


Harris, H., 1968, Industrial Archaeology of Dartmoor, 109 (Monograph). SDV149229.

The men who worked in the peat-cutting at Redlake used to stay out there during the week and they built a house of sorts on Western White Barrow and lived largely on rabbits poached from nearby Huntingdon Warren.


Gaskell-Brown, C. + Hankin, C., 1975 - 1978, Ugborough Parish Checklist (Worksheet). SDV161354.

(Visited in 1978, estimate). Building made from the stones of the Western Whitebarrow cairn by the workers at the Redlake peat ties, mid-19th century. Length 9.5 metres, width 3.0 metres, inner faces only.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV149229Monograph: Harris, H.. 1968. Industrial Archaeology of Dartmoor. Industrial Archaeology of Dartmoor. A5 Hardback. 109.
SDV161354Worksheet: Gaskell-Brown, C. + Hankin, C.. 1975 - 1978. Ugborough Parish Checklist. Parish Checklist. Digital. [Mapped feature: #15443 ]
SDV320981Monograph: Crossing, W.. 1912 (1965). Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor. Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor. Hardback Volume. 372.

Associated Monuments

MDV5192Related to: Petre's Cross, Western Whitebarrow (Monument)
MDV5193Related to: Western Whitebarrow (Monument)
MDV5158Related to: Zeal Tor or Redlake peat tramway (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 5 2014 1:43PM