HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV2814
Name:St Andrew's Church

Summary

Remains of St Andrew's parish church at Court Barton Farm

Location

Grid Reference:SX 695 411
Map Sheet:SX64SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSouth Huish
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH HUISH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: 441071
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX64SE/14
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 100800
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SX64SE10

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XII to XVI - 1200 AD to 1600 AD (Between))

Full description

Hoskins, Canon, Untitled Source (Leaflet). SDV150337.

Guide leaflet obtainable at South Huish Farm.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'St Andrew's Church (In Ruins)' shown on 19th century map to the south of Court Barton.


Kelly's Directories Limited, 1902-1906, Untitled Source (Monograph). SDV343755.


Ministry of Works, 1922, St Andrew's Church (Schedule Document). SDV150323.

Roofless, tower split, likely to fall soon. Walls much overgrown. Nave and tower 13th century, north transept and south aisle 14th century. Chancel has two lancet windows with wide splays. Also two lancet windows on north side of nave. Porch built flush with south wall contains two stone seats, east and west, stoup in eastern wall and fireplace in western wall. Image bracket over door. A piscina in excellent preservation in the chancel. Traces of former lancet window above door, built up when porch was built. Remains of stone wall bench along north side of transept. Heads of transept windows entirely gone. One window, fairly perfect in south aisle, east end, decorated style. Nearly all tracery has left windows. Other details: Monument 11.


Clarke, K. M., 1922 - 1923, Porch Fireplaces in Devon Churches, 1,2 (Article in Serial). SDV346053.

There was a fireplace in the south porch whose purpose was probably ritualistic. It is now ruinous.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1950 - 1986, SX64SE10 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV346050.

Remains of St Andrew's church. Site visited on 2 nd October 1986. The building has long been roofless and it was overgrown with ivy and scrub. Work has been undertaken to clear the vegetation, consolidate the walling and partially restore the fabric. The majority of the window tracery has gone, part of the structure is in danger of collapse, however, the main part of the building can be described as being in a graceful state of decay. Church services are occasionally held in the nave.


Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 413 (Monograph). SDV17562.

Brief history given, including details of 19th century dismantling of church and dispersal of fittings.


Department of Environment, 1960, Kingsbridge RD, 30 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV323346.

St Andrew's church in ruins. Early Medieval. Scheduled Monument Consent granted for restoring mullion and tracery, excavating to expose column bases and blocking entrance to tower stair.


Department of Environment, 1988, Untitled Source (Correspondence). SDV150340.


Timms, S. C., 1988, Untitled Source (Personal Comment). SDV346052.

Site visited on 25th April 1988. Church and yard leased to Friends of Friendless Churches. Fabric is in good condition with signs of recent repair. Walls clear of vegetation. Modern altar erected in 1985


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 746 (Monograph). SDV325629.


Collins, L., 1990, Walking the churchyards, 12 (Article in Serial). SDV346054.

Memorial inscriptions were recorded in 1989. 54 were visible and 46 were legible.


Allan, J., 2001, An Angel from Pinhoe and other Medieval English Alabasters in Devon, 159-81 (Article in Serial). SDV338906.

Partial dismantling of the church was undertaken in 1866-7.


National Monuments Record, 2010, 441071 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV346051.

Ruins of the Church of Saint Andrew. The nave and chancel are 13th century, to which a 14th century tower was added at the West end, and the North transept probably at the same time. A South aisle and porch were added in the 15th century.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Ruins of Church of St Andrew in South Huish was Listed on 26th January 1967. Ruined parish church of the 13th to 15th centuries and abandoned in 1866. Slatestone rubble walls. Plan: nave and chancel are the oldest parts to which a 14th century tower was added at the west end, and the north transept possibly at the same time. In the 15th century a south aisle and porch were built. In 1866 the Vicar of West Alvington with its dependent chapels decided that the church was not worth restoration. All its fittings were sold, including the Medieval screen which was taken to Bowringsleigh House in West Alvington. The arcade to the south aisle was removed to Dodbrooke church in the early 20th century. Exterior: the church is now roofless but the walls are largely intact although less so to the transept. The stonework of the west tower is much eroded, it has a blocked 15th century four-centred arched west doorway with mutilated Perpendicular window above. On the north wall of the nave is a 13th century lancet opening with the framework gone. The chancel has two similar windows, that on the south side opening into the aisle and still with its stone framework. Granite Perpendicular windows to south aisle end at east end of church. Single storey south porch with dressed rubble round headed doorway of South Hams type. Inner south doorway has four-centred chamfered stone head which blocks a former window opening in that wall. Internally the church has been completely stripped and has few features. Other details: LBS Number 100800.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

'St Andrew's Church (remains of)' shown on modern mapping.


Richards, A., 2010, Untitled Source (Personal Comment). SDV346042.

This feature is no longer a Scheduled Ancient Monument. No scheduling or descheduling documents are held by the Historic Environment Service.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV150323Schedule Document: Ministry of Works. 1922. St Andrew's Church. The Schedule of Monuments. Unknown.
SDV150337Leaflet: Hoskins, Canon. Leaflet.
SDV150340Correspondence: Department of Environment. 1988. Scheduled Monument Consent Letter. Letter.
SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 413.
SDV323346List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1960. Kingsbridge RD. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 30.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 746.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV338906Article in Serial: Allan, J.. 2001. An Angel from Pinhoe and other Medieval English Alabasters in Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 59. A5 Paperback. 159-81.
SDV343755Monograph: Kelly's Directories Limited. 1902-1906. Kelly's Directory of Devon. Unknown.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #85968 ]
SDV346042Personal Comment: Richards, A.. 2010.
SDV346050Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1950 - 1986. SX64SE10. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV346051National Monuments Record Database: National Monuments Record. 2010. 441071. National Monuments Record Database. Website.
SDV346052Personal Comment: Timms, S. C.. 1988.
SDV346053Article in Serial: Clarke, K. M.. 1922 - 1923. Porch Fireplaces in Devon Churches. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 12. Unknown. 1,2.
SDV346054Article in Serial: Collins, L.. 1990. Walking the churchyards. Kingsbridge History Society Recorder. 2. Unknown. 12.

Associated Monuments

MDV2825Parent of: COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT in the Parish of South Huish (Monument)
MDV2815Parent of: ROOD SCREEN in the Parish of South Huish (Monument)
MDV33228Related to: CHURCHYARD in the Parish of South Huish (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 13 2010 3:52PM