HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV28236
Name:HOUSE in the Parish of Sidmouth

Summary

Sy12468748) the old chancel was built in 1864 by peter orland hutchinson, local antiquarian and historian in his garden at no 4 coburg terrace, coburg road, from the remains of the 15th century church of st. Giles & st. Nicholas, church street, only the tower of which stands in situ. The chancel with its 18th century window was re-erected first and the rest of the house added later using some original medieval work from the church. On the south front is a tablet with monogram and the date 1864 (os citing doe).

Location

Grid Reference:SY 124 874
Map Sheet:SY18NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSidmouth
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSIDMOUTH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SY18NW/127
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

OS CITING DOE, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV130429.

Sy12468748) the old chancel was built in 1864 by peter orland hutchinson, local antiquarian and historian in his garden at no 4 coburg terrace, coburg road, from the remains of the 15th century church of st. Giles & st. Nicholas, church street, only the tower of which stands in situ. The chancel with its 18th century window was re-erected first and the rest of the house added later using some original medieval work from the church. On the south front is a tablet with monogram and the date 1864 (os citing doe).


NMR, CITING OS, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV130430.

Vis=1/3/1989 (os) the old chancel, in use as a dwelling house, is in good condition. The stone tablet with monogram ph and date 1864 is built into the se face of the northernmost wing on the se side of the building. A sign on the front entrance gate says 'the old chancel' - rebuilt 1859 (nmr, citing os).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV130431.

Doe/hhr:sidmouth ud/(nov 1973)33-4.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV130432.

Osa=sy18nw50.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV130429Migrated Record: OS CITING DOE.
SDV130430Report - Survey: NMR, CITING OS.
SDV130431Migrated Record:
SDV130432Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments

MDV11052Related to: St Giles Parish Church (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 30 2015 5:07PM