HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV2841
Name:Boundary stone on Ugborough Moor, Ugborough and Harford parishes

Summary

At the edge of the open moor, near the newtake wall on the southern slopes of western beacon, about 130m east of stowford moor gate, there is a large stone marking the parish boundary

Location

Grid Reference:SX 648 572
Map Sheet:SX65NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishHarford
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishUGBOROUGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NW/11

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BOUNDARY STONE (Constructed, XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Stone' shown on 19th century map on the boundary between Ugborough and Harford parishes.

Crossing, W., 1912 (1965), Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor, 412 (Monograph). SDV320981.

At the edge of the open moor, near the newtake wall on the southern slopes of Western Beacon, about 130 metres east of Stowford Moor Gate, there is a large stone marking the parish boundary. The stone is 2.362 metres horizontal length, the letters 'H' and 'U' 127 millimetres by 152 millimetres are cut on the west and east sides respectively. This was probably done in 1803. The stone is marked and named on the J Andrews map of 1799, near Rutt Corner. Rhw quotes from j. Andrews, 26.7.1800 - "wm. Towzer says that all the moor which adjoins east harford moor on the east, from prowse's rock to a long stone beyond hobajones cross, belongs to the manor of torpike, and not to the manor of langford leister". South of the rock the parish boundary leaves the moor and follows a course marked by stone walls and hedges to the exeter-plymouth road.

Worth, R. H., 1941, Dartmoor: 1788 - 1808 (Article in Serial). SDV160667.

Quote from J. Andrews, 26.7.1800 - "Wm. Towzer says that all the moor which adjoins east Harford Moor on the east, from Prowse's Rock to a Long Stone beyond Hobajones Cross, belongs to the manor of Torpike, and not to the manor of Langford Leister". South of the rock the parish boundary leaves the moor and follows a course marked by stone walls and hedges to the Exeter-Plymouth road.

Butler, J., 1993, Dartmoor Atlas of Antiquities: Volume Four - The South-East, 37-38, Map 53 (Monograph). SDV337765.

Boundary Stone 'b' on the boundary between Ugborough andd Harford parishes is a large boulder on the moorland side of the enclosures above Ivybridge.

Ordnance Survey, 2021, MasterMap 2021 (Cartographic). SDV364015.

'Stone' shown on modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV160667Article in Serial: Worth, R. H.. 1941. Dartmoor: 1788 - 1808. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 73. Unknown.
SDV320981Monograph: Crossing, W.. 1912 (1965). Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor. Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor. Hardback Volume. 412.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337765Monograph: Butler, J.. 1993. Dartmoor Atlas of Antiquities: Volume Four - The South-East. Dartmoor Atlas of Antiquities: Volume Four - The South-East. Four. Paperback Volume. 37-38, Map 53.
SDV364015Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap 2021. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #128694 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV112629Related to: Boundary stone south-west of Western Beacon, Ugborough and Harford parishes (Monument)
MDV129935Related to: Standing stone on Ugborough Moor, Ugborough and Harford parishes (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 7 2021 12:35PM