HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV28433
Name:Trinity Chapel

Summary

Site of Trinity Chapel shown on 16th century maps to the northeast of Coleton.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 909 512
Map Sheet:SX95SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishKingswear
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishKINGSWEAR

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX95SW/25

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, SX95SW5 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV339377.

Possibly situated 100 yards to the north of the tower (Day Beacon). Two fields north of the highest point shown as Chapel Park on the Tithe Map Apportionment would be a natural site for a chapel and a landmark to sailors or beacon site. There has been an Admiralty signal station situated on the site but this has been replaced by a radar beam station.


Lysons, D. + Lysons, S., 1822, Magna Britannica, 154 (Monograph). SDV323771.

No trace of Trinity Chapel has been found although it was shown on both Saxton's map of 1575 and as a ruin on Henry VIII's coastal map.


Russell, P. + Yorke, G., 1953, Kingswear and its Neighbourhood, 73-4 (Article in Serial). SDV176862.

Trinity Chapel was noted by Leland. The chapel was located on the north side of a lane running east from Coleton farm. Two fields to the north of the lane are shown as Chapel Park on the 19th century Tithe Map Apportionment.


Russell, P., 1955, Fire Beacons in Devon, 295 (Article in Serial). SDV336138.

Trinity Chapel at Down End. 159 meters above sea level. The chapel is marked on Henry VIII coastal map and on Saxton's map. It was seen in ruins by Leland. The site was used as an Admiralty flag station in 1800 and as a radar station between 1939-45.


Leland, J., 1964, Leland's Itinerary 1535-45, 223 (Monograph). SDV337630.

Trinity Chapel noted by Leland on a "great hilly point called Downe".


National Trust, 1984, East Dart, Devon, 9, 11 (Report - Survey). SDV338477.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV176862Article in Serial: Russell, P. + Yorke, G.. 1953. Kingswear and its Neighbourhood. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 85. A5 Hardback. 73-4.
SDV323771Monograph: Lysons, D. + Lysons, S.. 1822. Magna Britannica. Magna Britannica: A Concise Topographical Account of The Several Counties o. 6: Devonshire. Unknown. 154.
SDV336138Article in Serial: Russell, P.. 1955. Fire Beacons in Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 87. A5 Hardback. 295.
SDV337630Monograph: Leland, J.. 1964. Leland's Itinerary 1535-45. Leland's Itinerary 1535-45. 1. Unknown. 223.
SDV338477Report - Survey: National Trust. 1984. East Dart, Devon. National Trust Archaeological Survey Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 9, 11.
SDV339377Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SX95SW5. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.

Associated Monuments

MDV28435Related to: RAF Kingswear: Radar Station to the northeast of Coleton Barton Cottages (Monument)
MDV28434Related to: Signal Station to the northeast of Coleton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 25 2007 4:44PM