HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV2850
Name:Mansion house at Lukesland Grove, Harford

Summary

No longer extant, a dwelling later described as a mansion house is depicted here on the Tithe Map. Was used as the rectory for Harford briefly in the earlier 19th century. Building gone by the later 19th century, by which time Lukesland has been built.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 640 579
Map Sheet:SX65NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishHarford
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishHARFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NW/18
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SX65NW4

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANSION HOUSE (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))
  • VICARAGE (XIX - 1820 AD? to 1840 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

The Tithe Map shows a large square dwelling house (presumably this is Lukesland Grove), with an associated farm building to the north. Apportionment records this as Lukesland Farm (93): 'Buildings, poultry and rick yards and c.'


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Mansion (remains of)' depicted on the late 19th century historic map; by this time the house has been totally demolished; the new property 'Lukesland' has been built across the valley to the east. The site of the old house is now a lawn tennis ground.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Mansion (remains of)' depicted on the early 20th century historic map.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One, 275 (Monograph). SDV1312.


Copeland, G. W., 1952, 21st Report of the Plymouth and District Branch, 328 (Article in Serial). SDV237178.

Lukesland was built around 1860, on the side of the valley remote from the site of the ancient house, once Harford Rectory, of which there are some very slight remains.


Hankin, C. F., 1977-1979, Harford Parish Checklist, 29/5/1977 (Worksheet). SDV149931.

The estate of Lukesland goes back to at least 1695, and the Place Names of Devon (1931) associates the name with the family of John Lucas appearing in the Lay Subsidy Rolls, 1330. The name does not appear in the Subsidy Rolls 1332. Before 1862 the house known as "Lukesland Grove" stood much closer to the road; some ruins have been kept, with pieces of moulded granite preserved in an ornamental garden wall near the site.


Hankin, C. F., 1980, An Archaeological Check-List for Harford, 29/5/1977 (Un-published). SDV361875.

The estate of Lukesland goes back to at least 1695, and the Place Names of Devon (1931) associates the name with the family of John Lucas appearing in the Lay Subsidy Rolls, 1330. The name does not appear in the Subsidy Rolls 1332. Before 1862 the house known as "Lukesland Grove" stood much closer to the road; some ruins have been kept, with pieces of moulded granite preserved in an ornamental garden wall near the site.


Stanbrook, M., 1991, Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered, 29 (Monograph). SDV359884.

The Reverend Robert Savage, who died in 1840, moved out of his rectory into Lukesland Grove, and, it is beloved, taught a few local children there. This house no longer exists and later rectors lived in the old rectory again, now known as 'Butterbrook' (MDV23554).


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

'Mansion House (remains of)' depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback. 275.
SDV149931Worksheet: Hankin, C. F.. 1977-1979. Harford Parish Checklist. Parish Checklist. Digital. 29/5/1977.
SDV237178Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1952. 21st Report of the Plymouth and District Branch. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 84. Unknown. 328.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital. [Mapped feature: #86088 ]
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV359884Monograph: Stanbrook, M.. 1991. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Paperback Volume. 29.
SDV361875Un-published: Hankin, C. F.. 1980. An Archaeological Check-List for Harford. Devon Archaeological Society Publication. 11. A4 Comb Bound. 29/5/1977.

Associated Monuments

MDV113143Related to: Buildings at Higher Lukesland (Monument)
MDV23554Related to: Butterbrook House, Rectory at Harford (Building)
MDV77689Related to: Lukesland farmstead, Harford (Monument)
MDV54837Related to: Lukesland formal and informal gardens (Park/Garden)
MDV2852Related to: Lukesland, Harford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 16 2018 2:36PM