HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV28515
Name:Tinners mill on the Colly Brook, Peter Tavy

Summary

Vis=19/11/1980 (os) a tinner's mill is situated on the south bank of the colly brook, and 150m downstream of a tin streaming area are two adjacent buildings. The northern one, now little more than a pit with drystone walling sides, measuring 7m x 4.5m internally and 1m deep. The structure has been abbreviated by the construction of a later field wall. The southern building measuring 9.2m x 5.2m internally with unmortared large stone walling 0.8m wide and up to 1m high. Both buildings are within marshy ground but the southern one shows distinct traces of a wheel-pit on its northeast side and traces of a leat can be seen paralleling the stream as far back as the workings. The leat rejoins the stream to the south west of the structures. Both buildings are evidently associated with medieval workings and one is almost certainly a tinners' mill (os).

Location

Grid Reference:SX 542 778
Map Sheet:SX57NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishPeter Tavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishPETER TAVY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX57NW/188

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TIN MILL (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

RCHM APP 1985, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV221751.

Not recorded (rchm app 1985).


RCHME, CITING PATTISON, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV221752.

A rectangular one-roomed structure situated within enclosed land on the s bank of the colly brook 6.2m by 3.5m internally, the longer axis parallel to the stream and separated from it by a field wall. The walls are of large local, unmortared stone blocks, roughly coursed but not dressed and there is a large upright slab 1.2m high at the w corner. An entrance in the sw end wall, 1m wide, is flanked on the n by a dressed jamb standing 1m high. The interior is sunken to a depth of almost 1m on the se side and 0.45m adjacent to the stream. There is some fallen rubble inside. Adjacent to the ne end wall and at right angles to the stream is a rough linear depression c.6m by 1.2m and 0.6m deep. There is no sign of any stone lining but the feature is possibly a wheelpit. It is crossed by the stream-side field wall. No trace of any leat, either headrace or tailrace, exists in the vicinity of the structure. There are 2 irregular pits or depressions to the ne. Commencing 70m to the ne is an extensive area of mineral extraction and streamworking for alluvial or shode tin with which this building was probably associated. Its siting close to the colly brook suggests that it may have been a tinners mill but there is no visible internal or external evidence to confirm this. The building is situated in an area of land enclosed between 1804 and 1843 with several enclosure walls overlying the tin-workings and one separating the building from water supply; this is the only available dating evidence. It is probably medieval or early post-medieval (rchme, citing pattison).


GREEVES 1997, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV221753.

Status as a tin mill confirmed by discovery by tom greeves of a bearing stone on the edge of what must have been a wheel pit hollow + possible buddle pits (greeves 1997).


GREEVES 1998, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV221754.

Another bearing stone probably supported the extended stamps axle of the wheel. The distance between the two bearings is 2.75m. A mortarstone with at least 2 phases of wear was noted in the turf at probable site of the stamps pit (greeves 1998).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV221755.

Osa=sx57nw99.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV221756.

Des=pattison, p. /(22/12/1987)/rchme field investigation.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV221757.

Des=os surveyor's 2" draft/(1803-4).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV221758.

Des=greeves, t. /dtrg newsletter/13(july 1997)8-9/survey weekends 19th-20th april + 10th-11th may.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV221759.

Des=greeves, t. /dtrg newsletter/15(july 1998)4-5/progress with other walkham fieldwork.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV24.

Vis=19/11/1980 (os) a tinner's mill is situated on the south bank of the colly brook, and 150m downstream of a tin streaming area are two adjacent buildings. The northern one, now little more than a pit with drystone walling sides, measuring 7m x 4.5m internally and 1m deep. The structure has been abbreviated by the construction of a later field wall. The southern building measuring 9.2m x 5.2m internally with unmortared large stone walling 0.8m wide and up to 1m high. Both buildings are within marshy ground but the southern one shows distinct traces of a wheel-pit on its northeast side and traces of a leat can be seen paralleling the stream as far back as the workings. The leat rejoins the stream to the south west of the structures. Both buildings are evidently associated with medieval workings and one is almost certainly a tinners' mill (os).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV221751Migrated Record: RCHM APP 1985.
SDV221752Migrated Record: RCHME, CITING PATTISON.
SDV221753Migrated Record: GREEVES 1997.
SDV221754Migrated Record: GREEVES 1998.
SDV221755Migrated Record:
SDV221756Migrated Record:
SDV221757Migrated Record:
SDV221758Migrated Record:
SDV221759Migrated Record:
SDV24Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.

Associated Monuments

MDV26322Related to: Streamwork on the Colly Brook, Langstone Moor (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 30 2017 12:30PM