HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV2852
Name:Lukesland, Harford

Summary

Large Tudor style country house in landscaped garden. Built in 1862 in uncoursed pink granite with grey granite quoins and dressings, extended in circa 1880. Built on three sides of a courtyard with service wings at the rear and a large traceried window at the back of the main building. Home of the MacAndrews who took a great interest in Harford, acquiring and improving properties in the area, as well as supporting the school; they were responsible for building the schoolhouse in 1881.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 641 579
Map Sheet:SX65NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishHarford
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishHARFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NW/21
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COUNTRY HOUSE (XIX - 1860 AD to 1862 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Lukesland' is depicted on the late 19th century historic map. Large grand house with central courtyard.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Unchanged from the late 19th century historic map.


Copeland, G. W., 1952, 21st Report of the Plymouth and District Branch, 328 (Article in Serial). SDV237178.

Lukesland, Ivybridge Road. House built in attractive Victorian-Gothic style in pink and grey granite around 1860, on the side of the valley remote from the site of the ancient house, once Harford Rectory, of which there are some very slight remains.


Hankin, C. F., 1977-1979, Harford Parish Checklist, 29/5/1977 (Worksheet). SDV149931.

A full description of the house is given on the worksheet in the parish file.


Hankin, C. F., 1980, An Archaeological Check-List for Harford, 29/5/1977 (Un-published). SDV361875.

A full description of the house is given on the worksheet in the parish file.


Department of Environment, 1984, South Hams, 33 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV336648.

Large country house in landscaped garden. Built 1862 extended in circa 1880. Tudor style. Uncoursed pink granite with grey granite quoins and dressings. Steeply pitched slate roof with shaped gables. Asymmetrical.
Two storeys and attic. West front four bays, left and right slightly advanced and with shaped gables with large finials. Right hand first floor oriel, left hand with stone porch with four-centred arch. Central two-storeyed splayed bay. All stone mullioned and transomed windows with four-centred or ogee-headed lights. Set back to left (north) a three-storey tower with embattled parapet and polygonal stair turret. Shaped gables to north and south sides. Built on three sides of a courtyard with service wings at the rear and a large traceried window at the back of the main building.
Interior: moulded plaster vaulted ceiling in the hall. Probably also has other good interior features.


Stanbrook, M., 1991, Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered, 30-32 (Monograph). SDV359884.

Lukesland was the home of Mr J. MacAndrew who with his wife took a great interest in Harford, acquiring and improving properties in the area, as well as supporting the school; they were responsible for building the schoolhouse in 1881.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

Modern map shows the south-eastern wing of the building has been demolished.


Historic England, 2016, National Heritage List for England, Accessed 14/11/2016 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359353.

SX 65 NW HARFORD IVYBRIDCE ROAD 11/80 Lukesland - II
Large country house in landscaped garden. Built 1862 extended in circa 1880. Tudor style. Uncoursed pink granite with grey granite quoins and dressings. Steeply pitched slate roof with shaped gables. Asymmetrical. Two storeys and attic. West front 4 bays, left and right slightly advanced and with shaped gables with large finials. Right hand first floor oriel, left hand with stone porch with 4-centred arch. Central 2-storeyed splayed bay. All stone mullioned and transomed windows with 4-centred or ogee-headed lights. Set back to left (north) a 3-storey tower with embattled parapet and polygonal stair turret. Shaped gables to north and south sides. Built on 3 sides of a courtyard with service wings at the rear and a large traceried window at the back of the main building. Interior: moulded plaster vaulted ceiling in the hall. Probably also has other good interior features.
Listing NGR: SX6415657966.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV149931Worksheet: Hankin, C. F.. 1977-1979. Harford Parish Checklist. Parish Checklist. Digital. 29/5/1977.
SDV237178Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1952. 21st Report of the Plymouth and District Branch. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 84. Unknown. 328.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336648List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1984. South Hams. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 33.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #86099 ]
SDV359353National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2016. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. Accessed 14/11/2016.
SDV359884Monograph: Stanbrook, M.. 1991. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Old Dartmoor Schools Remembered. Paperback Volume. 30-32.
SDV361875Un-published: Hankin, C. F.. 1980. An Archaeological Check-List for Harford. Devon Archaeological Society Publication. 11. A4 Comb Bound. 29/5/1977.

Associated Monuments

MDV117327Related to: Barn at the former Rectory, Harford (Building)
MDV113143Related to: Buildings at Higher Lukesland (Monument)
MDV77689Related to: Lukesland farmstead, Harford (Monument)
MDV54837Related to: Lukesland formal and informal gardens (Park/Garden)
MDV2850Related to: Mansion house at Lukesland Grove, Harford (Building)
MDV53229Related to: Quarry south of Quarrypit Plantation, Harford (Monument)
MDV13102Related to: School House, Harford (Building)
MDV2856Related to: St. Petroc's Church, Harford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 22 2018 11:52AM