HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV2864
Name:St. Michael's Parish Church, Cornwood

Summary

Circa 1300 west tower and east end of chancel. The rest mainly 15th century. Chancel largely rebuilt in 1867. 13th century triple sedilia and piscina with cusped arches. Chancel has reredos of 1867 and reredos around the walls in alabaster. Altar rail is also alabaster. Early 16th century stone altar in south aisle with strapwork and shields in panels. Furnishings largely late 19th century except for early 17th century parallel and carved octagonal pulpit. Good wall monuments to local families.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 604 593
Map Sheet:SX65NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishCornwood
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishCORNWOOD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 615546
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NW/29
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCRATCH DIAL (XI to XVI - 1100 AD to 1600 AD (Between))
  • PARISH CHURCH (XIII to XV - 1300 AD to 1499 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, Source on St Michael's Church (Unattributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry). SDV148793.

Parish Church of St. Michael. The west tower (which formerly had a short spire) and the side walls of the chancel are the oldest parts of the church dating from the thirteenth or fourteenth century. Apart from a triple sedilia and a piscina there is a late Elizabethan pulpit and certain seventeenth century monuments. In the vicarage garden are fragments of fifteenth and sixteenth century windows from the church.
Also a blocked up doorway in the north wall of the church, known as the devil's door. Believed that the devil escaped through it during baptism ceremony.


Brushfield, T. N., 1892, The Church of All Saints, East Budleigh. Part 2, 332 (Article in Serial). SDV15399.


Copeland, G. W., 1942, Eleventh Report of the Plymouth and District Branch, 122 (Article in Serial). SDV145407.


Copeland, G. W., 1944, Thirteenth Report of the Plymouth and District Branch, 101 (Article in Serial). SDV148767.

Mr Worth discovered a primitive scratch-dial on the south side of the church, incised on two Hurdwick Stone quoins at the south-west of the south transept, on the south face. These dials are uncommon in Devon.


Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: South Devon, 91 (Monograph). SDV336217.


Crowley, J., 1961, Sundials in South Devon, 280 (Article in Serial). SDV4705.

The parish church of St. Michael. Sundial in poor condition. It is a primitive scratch dial on the south side of the church, incised on two Hurdwick stone quoins at the south-west of the south transept, on the south face. It consists of a pronounced style-hole, approximately 2 metres from ground level. An almost complete circle, with two radial lines in the lower half. The moon-line has been obliterated by weathering and new mortar put between the courses. Such dials are not common in Devon.


Masson Phillips, E. N., 1978, Sundial at Cornwood Church (Worksheet). SDV151011.

In the late 1930s the Devonshire Association visited the church and G. W. Copeland and E. N. Masson Phillips 'discovered' a medieval scratch dial on the south wall of the south transept, outside, on the west. Re-visited in the late 1970s and discovered lichen growth has almost obliterated it.


Department of Environment, 1984, South Hams, 13 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV336648.

Parish Church. Circa 1300 west tower and east end of chancel. The rest mainly c15. Chancel largely rebuilt in 1867. Granite and with granite freestone dressings. Slate roofs. Rendered tower. Comprising nave, chancel, north and south transepts and north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. North and south aisles have 3-light perpendicular windows. Buttresses with set-offs between north windows and moulded plinth below. North and south transepts have 4-light perpendicular windows. Chancel east window is c19 of 3-lights. Moulded 4-central arch south doorway. Granite ashlar porch with diagonal buttresses with set-offs and moulded 3-centred arch doorway with spandrels and label. Short west tower with straight parapet, lancets at ball-openings, 3-light west window with reticulated tracery. Short buttress at base of each side. Square stair turret on northeast corner with lancets. Five bay north and south arcades with slender moulded monolithic granite piers, moulded caps and bases and wide moulded 4-centred arches. Similar arches to transepts. Ceiled wagon roof to nave aisles and transepts.
C13 triple sedilia and piscina with cusped arches. Chancel has reredos of 1867 and reredos around the walls in alabaster. Altar rail is also alabaster. Early c16 stone altar in south aisle with strapwork and shields in panels. Furnishings largely late c19 except for early c17 parallel and carved octagonal pulpit. Good wall monuments to local families including: Robert Bellmaine and wife 1627. John Savery 1696. Thomas Vivian 1793. Sir john and dame Mary rogers 1759. Late c16/early c17 monument in south aisle with two kneeling figures (doe).


Reid, R., 1996, The Architectural Work of George Wightwick, 128 (Article in Serial). SDV336171.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Depicted on the modern mapping.


English Heritage, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV357602.

SX 65 NW CORNWOOD CHURCHTOWN 11/30 29-3-60 Church of St Michael GV I
Parish Church. Circa 1300 west tower and east end of chancel. The rest mainly C15. Chancel largely rebuilt in 1867. Granite and with granite freestone dressings. Slate roofs. Rendered tower.
Comprising nave, chancel, north and south transepts and north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. North and south aisles have 3-light Perpendicular windows. Buttresses with set-offs between north windows and moulded plinth below. North and south transepts have 4-light Perpendicular windows. Chancel east window is C19 of 3-lights. Moulded 4-central arch south doorway. Granite ashlar porch with diagonal buttresses with set-offs and moulded 3-centred arch doorway with spandrels and label. Short west tower with straight parapet, lancets at ball-openings, 3-light west window with reticulated tracery. Short buttress at base of each side. Square stair turret on north-east corner with lancets. Five bay north and south arcades with slender moulded monolithic granite piers, moulded caps and bases and wide moulded 4-centred arches. Similar arches to transepts. Ceiled wagon roof to nave aisles and transepts.
C13 triple sedilia and piscina with cusped arches. Chancel has reredos of 1867 and reredos around the walls in alabaster. Altar rail is also alabaster. Early C16 stone altar in south aisle with strapwork and shields in panels. Furnishings largely late C19 except for early C17 parallel and carved octagonal pulpit. Good wall monuments to 'local families including: Robert Bellmaine and wife 1627. John Savery 1696. Thomas Vivian 1793. Sir John and Dane Mary Rogers 1759. Late C16/early C17 monument in south aisle with 2 kneeling figures.
Listing NGR: SX6043259366


Farmer, J., 2016, Historic Chair and Village Hall in Cornwood (Correspondence). SDV359905.

The Bishop's Chair in the church is attributed to Violet Powell.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV145407Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1942. Eleventh Report of the Plymouth and District Branch. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 74. A5 Hardback. 122.
SDV148767Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1944. Thirteenth Report of the Plymouth and District Branch. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 76. Paperback Volume. 101.
SDV148793Unattributed Sites and Monuments Register Entry: Unknown. Source on St Michael's Church. Unknown.
SDV151011Worksheet: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1978. Sundial at Cornwood Church. Worksheet. Digital.
SDV15399Article in Serial: Brushfield, T. N.. 1892. The Church of All Saints, East Budleigh. Part 2. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 24. Unknown. 332.
SDV336171Article in Serial: Reid, R.. 1996. The Architectural Work of George Wightwick. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 128. A4 Stapled. 128.
SDV336217Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: South Devon. The Buildings of England: South Devon. Paperback Volume. 91.
SDV336648List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1984. South Hams. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 13.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #86155 ]
SDV357602National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV359905Correspondence: Farmer, J.. 2016. Historic Chair and Village Hall in Cornwood. Email to S. Watts. Not Applicable.
SDV4705Article in Serial: Crowley, J.. 1961. Sundials in South Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 93. A5 Hardback. 280.

Associated Monuments

MDV113868Parent of: Churchyard of St. Michael, Cornwood (Monument)
MDV99567Related to: Chest tomb in churchyard north of Church of St. Michael, Cornwood (Monument)
MDV100522Related to: Chest tomb south-east of the Church of St. Michael, Cornwood (Monument)
MDV23539Related to: Church House, Cornwood (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 9 2018 3:00PM