HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV28873
Name:Marley House, Rattery

Summary

Large country house formerly known as Syon Abbey. It was formerly occupied by a community of Bridgettine nuns and converted into apartments in 1994.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 724 610
Map Sheet:SX76SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishRattery
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishRATTERY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX76SW/133
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 99318

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COUNTRY HOUSE (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD (Between))
  • NUNNERY (XX - 1935 AD to 1994 AD (Between))

Full description

PEVSNER + DOE CITED BY OS, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV157123.

Syon abbey shown on os 1:2500 1963 map. Syon abbey formerly marley house, acquired by the bridgettine nuns, is an 18th century building having a seven-bay front with a portico of four detached giant columns and pediment and two lower projecting wings (pevsner + doe cited by os).


DOE 1986, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV157124.

Large country house formerly known as marley house, now occupied by a community of bridgettine nuns. C18 with remodelling of early c19, alterations of 1873 and extensions of 1935. Stuccoed and roughcast stone. Slate hipped roof behind blocking lower and cornice. Rusticated corner pilasters. Band at first floor level. Square on plan. Two storeys and basement. West entrance front. Two storeys. Nine bays. Sash windows, with glazing bars in moulded architraves with moulded cills. Central doorway in moulded architrave with broken segmental pediment on console brackets and fielded panel doors. Large doric portico with pediment and flour fluted giant columns. South garden front: 2:5:2 bays, centre breaks forward slightly. East front 3:11:3 bays, centre recessed. South and east garden fronts have arcaded terrace to basement, with balustrade, dated 1873. Wings of 1935 attached to south west and north west corners. Interior: hall has ionic colonnade screens and moulded modillion cornice. Cantilevered staircase with stack balusters and wreathed handrail. Dining room has elaborate plaster cornice, ceiling rose and doorframes with urns on the overdoors. Similar doorframes in panelled drawing room. The bridgettine nuns who now occupy the house, are the only english monastic community to maintain an unbroken succession of nuns from before the reformation. Syon was founded in 1415 as isleworth (middlesea), but since the dissolution they were domiciled in many places on the continent before returning to spettisbury, dorset in 1861 (doe 1986).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV157125.

Osa=sx76sw24.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV157126.

Pevsner, n. /buildings of england south devon/(1952)274.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV157127.

Doe/hhr:totnes,devon(march 1970)20.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV157128.

Doe/hhr;rattery/(27/5/1986)33.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV157129.

Hoskins, w. E. /a new survey of england,devon/(nd)468.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Map object based on this source.


Clark, J., 2013, Marley House ( formerly Syon Abbey) (Un-published). SDV357919.

A large country house owned by the Palk family and then inherited in 1806 by the Carews of Haccombe. A 18th century neo-classical house, but with remodelling in early 19th century, alterations of 1873 and extensions of 1935 when it became a convent.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Map object based on this source.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England, 1147483 (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

Marley House (formerly listed as Syon Abbey, Rattery). Large country house, later occupied by a community of Bridgettine nuns and converted into apartments in 1994. C18 with remodelling of early C19, alterations of 1873 and extensions of 1935. Stuccoed and roughcast stone. Slate hipped roof behind blocking lower and cornice. Rusticated corner pilasters. Band at first floor level. Square on plan.
Two storeys and basement. West entrance front. Two storeys. Nine bays. Sash windows, with glazing bars in moulded architraves with moulded cills. Central doorway in moulded architrave with broken segmental pediment on console brackets and fielded panel doors. Large Doric portico with pediment and flour fluted giant columns.
South garden front: 2:5:2 bays, centre breaks forward slightly. East front 3:11:3 bays, centre recessed. South and east garden fronts have arcaded terrace to basement, with balustrade, dated 1873. Wings of 1935 attached to south west and north west corners.
Interior: Hall has Ionic colonnade screens and moulded modillion cornice. Cantilevered staircase with stack balusters and wreathed handrail. Dining room has elaborate plaster cornice, ceiling rose and doorframes with urns on the overdoors. Similar doorframes in panelled drawing room.
The Bridgettine nuns who occupied the house, were the only English Monastic community to maintain an unbroken succession of nuns from before the Reformation. Syon was founded in 1415 at Isleworth (Middlesea), but since the Dissolution they were domiciled in many places on the Continent before returning to Spettisbury, Dorset in 1861. Reference: W E Hoskins, A New Survey of England, Devon, page 468; 'Some interesting treasures are preserved here including carved stone capital from the original Syon Abbey' Ref: former Provisional List, 1970, page 20.
Date first listed: 9th February 1961
This list entry was subject to a minor amendment on 17th April 2018.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV157123Migrated Record: PEVSNER + DOE CITED BY OS.
SDV157124Migrated Record: DOE 1986.
SDV157125Migrated Record:
SDV157126Migrated Record:
SDV157127Migrated Record:
SDV157128Migrated Record:
SDV157129Migrated Record:
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV357919Un-published: Clark, J.. 2013. Marley House ( formerly Syon Abbey). Devon Local Register of Parks and Gardens of Local Historic Interest. Digital.
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1147483.

Associated Monuments

MDV57209Related to: Landscaped Grounds of Marley House (Formerly Syon Abbey) (Monument)
MDV16124Related to: Marley Farm, Rattery (Monument)
MDV121803Related to: Rose Cottage, Harbourneford (Building)
MDV108460Related to: Terrace of houses north-west of Marley House, Rattery (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 17 2018 12:52PM