HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV29203
Name:Stable and shippon south of Higher Lettaford farmhouse, North Bovey

Summary

Late 18th, early 19th century range forming the southern side of the farmstead facing north opposite the farmhouse. The building comprises stables with a hayloft over and integral lean-tos at each end.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 701 839
Map Sheet:SX78SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishNorth Bovey
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTH BOVEY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX78SW/91/3
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SHIPPON STOCK BUILDING (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Building shown in this location.


Griffith, F. M., 1984, DAP/BW, 4-8 (Aerial Photograph). SDV339907.


Department of Environment, 1987, North Bovey, 164 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV348844.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Stable/shippon approximately 10 metres south south west of Higher Lettaford. Stable/shippon. Circa early C19. Granite rubble walls with larger quoins. Asbestos slate roof, gable ended. Divided into 2 parts, one stable, one shippon, with hay loft above and later outshut at either end. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical front with ground floor doorways to left of centre and to right, window opening inbetween doors and to the left. First floor loading door above right-hand door. Outshut at either end. Slit window at rear of left-hand room. Interior: right-hand room contains cross beams and old stall partitions with a drain running along the floor behind them. Forms part of an important group of farm buildings and early houses in a small moorland settlement on the fringe of Dartmoor.


Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants, July 2014, Higher Lettaford, North Bovey, Devon, 14-15 (Report - Survey). SDV356882.

Range forming southern side of the farmstead, facing north opposite the farmhouse. The building contains two stables, one now converted to a cow shed, with a hayloft over with integral lean-tos at each end. The west one is an open-fronted wagon or implement shed. The east one is now roofless and partly ruined. As the building appears to have been in existence by the time of the 1840 Tithe Map a late 18th-early 19th century date is not unreasonable for its construction.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV339907Aerial Photograph: Griffith, F. M.. 1984. DAP/BW. Devon Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 4-8.
SDV348844List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. North Bovey. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet. 164.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #86422 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV356882Report - Survey: Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants. July 2014. Higher Lettaford, North Bovey, Devon. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants. K858. A4 Comb Bound + Digital. 14-15.

Associated Monuments

MDV77042Part of: Higher Lettaford, North Bovey (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6529 - Historic Building Survey at Higher Lettaford, North Bovey

Date Last Edited:Jul 23 2014 3:09PM