HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV29212
Name:Lizwell Farmhouse, Widecombe in the Moor

Summary

Early 16th century longhouse, now farmhouse at Lizwell. Date on porch reads 1630 with an almost illegible inscription of initials 'P F' or R E'. Plan consists of a cross-passage with two rooms to left (probably the former hall and inner rooms) and two further rooms rebuilt in 18th century) to right. Unusually for Dartmoor farmhouses, the hall chimneystack is positioned in the rear wall; this house may even have had a second fireplace at the rear, heating the parlour. On the right-hand side of the cross- passage, abutting the section rebuilt in 18th century, is another old stack; this may have been inserted to heat a kitchen at the upper end of the shippon, a modification found in several Dartmoor longhouses.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 706 744
Map Sheet:SX77SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWidecombe in the Moor
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishWIDECOMBE IN THE MOOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX77SW/99
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LONGHOUSE (Built, XV to XVI - 1500 AD to 1535 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

House at Liswell shown on the Tithe Map. C-shaped dwelling.


Beeson, M. M. R. + Masterman, M. C. H., 1979, An Archaeological Survey of Enclosed Land in Widecombe-In-The-Moor Parish, Vol III, 453/sketch plan (Report - Survey). SDV337078.

(3/7/1979) An old longhouse. There is a date on the porch, which reads 1630 with the inscription 'P F'. The house was once thatched as shown by the droppers on the chimneys. There is still a through passage and the house is in two sections, with small wing at back of the higher section. Granite weight on the wall outside the house. Sash windows, mullioned and transomed. There is an enclosed barn complex which is completely different from the plan on the Tithe Map of 1843. Two pig troughs outside the house. A new barn has been built onto an old wall, down the lane, below the house. An old enclosure now used as a sheep dip.


Department of Environment, 1986, Widecombe in the Moor, 110 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV289221.

Lizwell Farmhouse, possibly a former longhouse. Early 16th century with right-hand end (possibly the former shippon) rebuilt in the 18th century; main range could be basically medieval. Granite rubble, the older part of main range and the rear wing including some large-scale granite ashlar; patches of old roughcast on one wall. Roofs covered with real slates except for the older part of main range, which has asbestos slates. Roof of rear wing hipped and has old, handmade ridge-tiles with low crestings. Old chimneystack with stone weatherings.
Cross passage plan. Two storeys. Fragments of medieval stone window-tracery. Granite block near doorway is carved with the date 1630 and two almost illegible initials.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Shown on the modern mapping. The footprint of the building appears largely unchanged from the Tithe Map depiction.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

WIDECOMBE-IN- SX 77 SW THE-MOOR 6/183 Lizwell Farmhouse 23.8.55 GV II
Farmhouse, possibly a former longhouse. Early C16 with right-hand end (possibly the former shippon) rebuilt in C18; left-hand end of main range may be basically medieval. Granite rubble, the older part of main range and the rear wing including some large-scale granite ashlar; left-hand end of front wall is covered with patches of old roughcast. Roofs covered with real slates, except for the older part of main range, which has asbestos slates; roof of rear wing, slightly higher than the rest, is hipped and has several old, handmade ridge-tiles with low crestings. Old chimneystack with stone weatherings on centre of ridge; smaller stack on each gable, the left-hand one with an added brick shaft. In rear wall of older part of main range is a very large stone stack.
Plan consists of a cross-passage with 2 rooms to left (probably the former hall and inner rooms) and 2 further rooms rebuilt in C18) to right. Behind and at right-angles to the hall is a 1-room wing, probably a parlour with high-quality chamber over, added in early C16. The position of the chimneystacks is unusual for a Dartmoor farmhouse. It is very rare to find the hall fireplace in the rear wall of the hall; this one may even have had a second fireplace at the rear, heating the parlour. On the right-hand side of the cross- passage, abutting the section rebuilt in C18, is another old stack; this may have been inserted to heat a kitchen at the upper end of the shippon, a modification found in several Dartmoor longhouses.
2 storeys. 6-window front. Older part to left is 3 windows wide with 8-paned sashes, many of the panes containing old glass. Between-storeys in each of the 2 left-hand bays is a panel of slate-hanging. Old plank door in right-hand bay of this part, opening into cross-passage; above it is a C20 wooden hood with slated pent roof. Just to the right of the door is a full- height straight-joint, and at the top of the piece of wall between this and the doorway is a granite block carved with the date 1630 and 2 almost illegible initials; according to the former list these are R E with a heart between them. In the rebuilt right-hand section all the windows have 3-light C19 casements with 3 panes per light. The 2 ground-storey windows have flat arches with roughly-cut voussoirs. Between them is a doorway with a plain granite lintel; above it are some re-set fragments of medieval stone window-tracery. In the north-east wall of the rear wing, in the ground storey, is an early C16 granite window of 3 lights. The mullions have been removed, but the hollow-moulded round-arched heads remain, set within a rectangular hollow-moulded frame having a heavy hood-mould above.
Interior: ground-storey room of wing has broad, chamfered upper-floor beams. Room above seems, from the occupants' description, to have roof-trusses with arch-braced collar-beams. Remainder of interior not inspected.
Listing NGR: SX7067174421

Sources / Further Reading

SDV289221List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Widecombe in the Moor. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet. 110.
SDV337078Report - Survey: Beeson, M. M. R. + Masterman, M. C. H.. 1979. An Archaeological Survey of Enclosed Land in Widecombe-In-The-Moor Parish. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. Vols I - V. A4 Comb Bound. Vol III, 453/sketch plan.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #86428 ]
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV29933Part of: Lizwell Farmstead, Widecombe in the Moor (Monument)
MDV29935Related to: Farm buildings at Lizwell Farm, Widecombe in the Moor (Building)
MDV29934Related to: Lizwell Horse Engine House, Widecombe in the Moor (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 14 2018 1:56PM