HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV29229
Name:17 St Lawrence Lane, Ashburton

Summary

Formerly the Golden Fleece coaching inn (from late 18th century to 1939). May be 17th century, constructed from timbers salvaged from the Golden Fleece. Used as girl guides headquarters in the 1960s before being renovated and divided into two dwellings in the 1970s.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 756 698
Map Sheet:SX76NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishAshburton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishASHBURTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX76NE/117
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVI to XVII - 1600 AD to 1699 AD (Between))
  • COACHING INN (Constructed, XVIII to World War II - 1760 AD to 1939 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1973, Ashburton, 35 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV300597.

House. Formerly the Golden Fleece coaching inn now No. 17 St Lawrence Lane. Probably 17th century, two storeys, two flush frame windows at first floor, timber framed above ground floor. Small 2-storey wing left. Partly with old local slates to roof. Double gable, to front. Ground floor, 5 sash windows (2 with glazing bars).
Interior: dado with fielded panels, first floor wood bolection moulded mantel. Ten feet high stone walls of yard at rear.


Department of National Heritage, 1992, Ashburton, 115 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV337041.

ASHBURTON - ST LAWRENCE LANE (east side) Nos.17 AND 17A (Formerly Listed as: ST LAWRENCE LANE (East side) No.17) - GV II
House, now divided into two. Possibly C17, much altered in C18 and C19. Rendered walls (stone rubble exposed in right side wall), lined to imitate masonry. Pair of slated roofs, gabled towards the street; small section of parallel roof to left. 2 chimneys in rear wall; stone rubble one to right, red-brick one to left. 2 storeys. Twin-gabled front (valley partly infilled) with short extension to left. 5 windows and a doorway in ground storey; 3 above. Sashes; the 2 right-hand ground storey windows and the right-hand second storey window with 2 panes per sash. Side wall to right has 2-light wood casement in upper storey; 2 panes per light.
Interior: not inspected. 1973 list description mentions 'dado with fielded panels, 1st floor wood bolection moulded mantel'. Reputed to have been the Golden Fleece Inn at one time.


Webb, P., 1995, The Pubs and Inns of Ashburton, 18-21 (Monograph). SDV347208.

Golden Fleece, St Lawrence Lane.
Believed to occupy the site of Bishop Stapledon's Palace, it was built around 1760 with ships' timbers salvaged from the Golden Fleece, which foundered in Lannacombe Bay around this time. Trade directory information lists proprietors throughout the 19th century and the inn continued to trade until 1939. After this it was used as the local girl guides headquarters (1962-9), by which time it had become rather run down. Divided into two sometime in the early 1970s when it was renovated and is now two houses.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

17 St Lawrence Lane is depicted on the modern mapping.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, Accessed 06/03/2017 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

ASHBURTON - SX7569 ST LAWRENCE LANE 849-1/10/162 (East side) 10/05/73 Nos.17 AND 17A (Formerly Listed as: ST LAWRENCE LANE (East side) No.17) - GV II
House, now divided into two. Possibly C17, much altered in C18 and C19. Rendered walls (stone rubble exposed in right side wall), lined to imitate masonry. Pair of slated roofs, gabled towards the street; small section of parallel roof to left. 2 chimneys in rear wall; stone rubble one to right, red-brick one to left. 2 storeys. Twin-gabled front (valley partly infilled) with short extension to left. 5 windows and a doorway in ground storey; 3 above. Sashes; the 2 right-hand ground storey windows and the right-hand second storey window with 2 panes per sash. Side wall to right has 2-light wood casement in upper storey; 2 panes per light. Interior: not inspected. 1973 list description mentions 'dado with fielded panels, 1st floor wood bolection moulded mantel'. Reputed to have been the Golden Fleece Inn at one time.
Listing NGR: SX7568869846

Sources / Further Reading

SDV300597List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1973. Ashburton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 35.
SDV337041List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of National Heritage. 1992. Ashburton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 115.
SDV347208Monograph: Webb, P.. 1995. The Pubs and Inns of Ashburton. The Pubs and Inns of Ashburton. Paperback Volume. 18-21.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #86436 ]
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. Accessed 06/03/2017.

Associated Monuments

MDV23255Related to: 15 North Street, Ashburton (Building)
MDV92740Related to: 15 St Lawrence Lane, Ashburton (Building)
MDV80827Related to: 20 North Street, Ashburton (Building)
MDV7875Related to: Chapel of St. Lawrence, Ashburton (Building)
MDV23264Related to: Gates and wall of Grammar School, Ashburton (Monument)
MDV13602Related to: The Old Court House (Lambel's Cottage), Ashburton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 19 2017 9:56AM