HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV294
Name:Beaford, St. George & All Saints Parish Church

Summary

Parish church. Late 15th century with 19th century alterations.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 552 150
Map Sheet:SS51NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBeaford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBEAFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5321
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS51NE/8
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Early Medieval to XXI - 1066 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, SS51NE17 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV20931.


Department of Environment, 1988, Beaford, 32-33 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV20929.

Parish church. Church of St. George and All Saints. Late 15th century nave, chancel, aisles and porch. Restored, reseated and windows reglazed in 1878, and Upcott aisle restored (apparently largely rebuilt - see straight joint between nave and aisle) in 1879 at the expense of T. W. Snell Esq. Tower first rebuilt in 1802, and again in 1909-10, to the design of Mr Harbottle Reed and at a cost of £1,100. Squared and coursed stone (some 19th century work tooled) and uncoursed stone rubble, with limestone and granite ashlar dressings. Gable-ended Welsh slate roofs with tile ridge cresting. Tower of snecked dressed stone with limewash ashlar dressings and stumpy Welsh slate broach spire with lead finial. Fifteenth century four bay nave and one bay chancel in one, 15th century four bay south with 15th century porch in second bay from west, and one bay north chancel chapel Lupcott aisle). Lateral north tower in angle of Upcott aisle, added in 1909-10 in an Early English style.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 160 (Monograph). SDV325629.


Watson, A., 2007-2017?, Devon Crosses, 603, (Vol 5), sketch (Un-published). SDV360833.

Beaford Church SS522150
These eleven pierced consecration crosses are set in a yellowish stone, under the widow sills of Beaford Church. There are eleven on the outside of the church, six on the south side, four on the north side, one on the east side; the west side has none. The crosses are between five and six feet from the ground (1.5 to 1.8 metres), a few are badly weathered. The church tower (west end of the church) was added in 1909-10, in the early English style, probably the reason no crosses are to be found on the west side.
Cross height 0.22 metres, span 0.11 metres. Width 12.7 centimetres. Cross panel height 0.25 metres. Width 0.15 metres.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV20929List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Beaford. Provisional List. 32-33.
SDV20931Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SS51NE17.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 160.
SDV360833Un-published: Watson, A.. 2007-2017?. Devon Crosses. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. 603, (Vol 5), sketch.

Associated Monuments

MDV296Parent of: Beaford Church Sundial (Monument)
MDV295Parent of: FONT in the Parish of Beaford (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 22 2018 5:59PM