HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV2944
Name:Cheston Cottages, Ugborough

Summary

Converted cottages at Cheston. A house was probably built as two or three small cottages. Already much altered before 1974, further changes were made in that year. Probably built as farm cottages in 18th or early 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 680 586
Map Sheet:SX65NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishUgborough
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishUGBOROUGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NE/46

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARM LABOURERS COTTAGE (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1751 AD? to 1840 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

Pair of cottages are shown on the 1840s Tithe Map; 1993 on the Apportionment; 'Two Cots', owned by Lady Carew, occupied by Samuel Woodley and others. Dwelling is shown as a pair of roughly north-south aligned rectangles, adjoining but slightly offset to one another. At right angles to the lane at the north end. Small outhouse structure at the southern end.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Late 19th century historic map shows the building, which appears much the same as the Tithe Map depiction.


Gaskell-Brown, C. + Hankin, C., 1975 - 1978, Ugborough Parish Checklist (Worksheet). SDV161354.

Converted cottages at Cheston. A house was probably built as two or three small cottages. Already much altered before 1974, further changes were made in that year. Two storeys, with four casement windows in upper storey; two doors, one towards each end of the front. Front wall not horizontal. Three stacks, one of which is central to the building at the back. Low pitched gable ends to the roof which has modern tiles. The rear wall shows random stone construction on a natural rock foundation cleared for the purpose. North-east end of house abuts onto footpath leading to an old track to the moor. Probably built as farm cottages in 18th or early 19th century.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Depicted on the modern mapping as 3 Cheston Cottages.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV161354Worksheet: Gaskell-Brown, C. + Hankin, C.. 1975 - 1978. Ugborough Parish Checklist. Parish Checklist. Digital.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #113477 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV123016Related to: Building east of Cheston Cross (Building)
MDV123015Related to: Higher Cheston farm (Monument)
MDV78031Related to: Shute farmstead, Ugborough (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 24 2018 10:13AM