HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV2949
Name:COTTAGE NON SPECIFIC in the Parish of Ugborough

Summary

Binwell cottages, north filham; two semi-detached cottages on the north side of the exeter-plymouth road at the east corner of the old drove lane to the moor now leading to palace cottages. Until early 20th century a wheelwright's cottage and shop stood at the corner but now only one building (two semi-detached cottages) remain with an old farm outbuilding at rear. The cottages are built in random stone, with hipped roof newly slated. One centre stack with five pots. Two windows near eaves in upper storey in each house. There is a flat stone plaque in centre of front wall at upper storey level, but has no inscription. Each cottage has a central doorway and there is a window on each side of the door in each cottage. The building was probably 1828, the date of similar cottages on the other side of the main road at north filham. At no.2 north filham a tiny general stores was kept by mrs m. B. King. Shop closed 1970.(anon).

Location

Grid Reference:SX 651 563
Map Sheet:SX65NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishUgborough
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishUGBOROUGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NE/52

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COTTAGE NON SPECIFIC (XVIII to XXI - 1751 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV176093.

Des=worksheet(anon).


Anonymous, Untitled Source (Monograph). SDV76927.

Binwell cottages, north filham; two semi-detached cottages on the north side of the exeter-plymouth road at the east corner of the old drove lane to the moor now leading to palace cottages. Until early 20th century a wheelwright's cottage and shop stood at the corner but now only one building (two semi-detached cottages) remain with an old farm outbuilding at rear. The cottages are built in random stone, with hipped roof newly slated. One centre stack with five pots. Two windows near eaves in upper storey in each house. There is a flat stone plaque in centre of front wall at upper storey level, but has no inscription. Each cottage has a central doorway and there is a window on each side of the door in each cottage. The building was probably 1828, the date of similar cottages on the other side of the main road at north filham. At no.2 north filham a tiny general stores was kept by mrs m. B. King. Shop closed 1970.(anon).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV176093Migrated Record:
SDV76927Monograph: Anonymous.

Associated Monuments

MDV2950Related to: Palace Cottages, North Filham (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 9 2018 3:51PM