HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV2950
Name:Palace Cottages, North Filham

Summary

Row of four cottages dating to the late 19th / early 20th century. May have originally been built as one cottage, it was extended by the early 20th century and divided (see historic map evidence).

Location

Grid Reference:SX 651 567
Map Sheet:SX65NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishUgborough
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishUGBOROUGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NE/53

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COTTAGE NON SPECIFIC (Built, XIX to XX - 1850 AD to 1905 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

The plot numbered 352 on the Tithe Map is called 'Higher Palace' on the Ugborough apportionment.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Palace Cottage' is depicted on the late 19th century historic map. Only shown as a single dwelling at this time and has not been extended to the west yet.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

The early 20th century historic map shows 'Palace Cottages' which appear by this time to have been extended; now shown stretching as far as the track onto the moor at the western end. Small outbuilding shown to the south-west of the houses and a well is also marked. Building appears to be divided into three properties.


Gaskell-Brown, C. + Hankin, C., 1975 - 1978, Ugborough Parish Checklist (Worksheet). SDV161354.

Palace cottages, North Filham. Four terraced cottages on the southern edge of Western Beacon. Stone-built and plastered. Three built by Mr Arthur Beable's grandfather date from late 19th century. Mr Arthur Beable built the fourth cottage on the west end towards the middle of the 20th century. This end cottage appears to encroach on the old access lane to the moor, probably the Fyllam Leat on the 1478 map of Dartmoor. The Beables were local stonemasons (1974).
One cottage, presumably the last to be built, is said to have a stone stairway due to lack of timber available during the war.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Row of four cottages depicted on the modern mapping. All the houses appear to have been altered/extended to the rear since construction.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV161354Worksheet: Gaskell-Brown, C. + Hankin, C.. 1975 - 1978. Ugborough Parish Checklist. Parish Checklist. Digital.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #86471 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV2948Related to: COTTAGE NON SPECIFIC in the Parish of Ugborough (Monument)
MDV2949Related to: COTTAGE NON SPECIFIC in the Parish of Ugborough (Monument)
MDV3056Related to: Ludgate, Ugborough (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 9 2018 4:21PM