HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV29500
Name:Alexandra Theatre and Market House, Market Street, Newton Abbot

Summary

The Alexandrea Theatre, now a cinema, is a former corn exchange built in 1871 in Italianate palazzo style. The market hall to the rear is of similar style.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 858 713
Map Sheet:SX87SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishNewton Abbot
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishHIGHWEEK
Ecclesiastical ParishWOLBOROUGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX87SE/235
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • THEATRE (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Alexandra Hall' attached to the west side of 'Market House' on the east side of Market Street in Newton Abbot.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.


Ordnance Survey, 1972, SX8471-8571 (Cartographic). SDV338232.

Buildings shown as 'Alexandra Theatre' with 'Butter Market' attached to the east on 1972 map.


Department of Environment, 1983, Newton Abbot, 27 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV298253.

Alexandra Theatre dated 1871. Stone building in simple classical style attached to covered market. West tower with arched entrance and bold bracketted eaves to pyramidal slated roof. Arched side elevations with eaves to slated roof. Five round-headed windows. The tower is a prominent feature in the town.


Gent, T. H. + Leverett, M., 2007, Archaeological Assessment of the Proposed Redevelopment at Wolborough Street, Bank Street and East Street, Newton Abbot, 3 (Report - Assessment). SDV338207.

Market moved to this site from Wolborough Street in 1826.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Alexandra Theatre and Market Hall to the rear. Former corn exchange, now a cinema. Dated 1871. By John Chudleigh. MATERIALS: squared Devon limestone and stucco with some freestone dressings, slate roof and moulded stack to the rear of left return. PLAN: rectangular plan with projecting west tower and infilled angles. ALEXANDRA THEATRE EXTERIOR: an Italianate palazzo style central projecting belvedere tower in 3 stages has wide eaves and a modillion cornice to a shallow-pitched pyramidal roof. Freestone impost and sill bands to paired semicircular-arched windows, blind to the front, in the upper stage, the second stage has a semicircular-arched recess containing a hood mould with foliate stops over a circular window. A panel below with a rich dentil cornice reads "Erected 1871". The rusticated semicircular entrance arch below has chamfered jambs. The angles between the tower and the main block have curved stucco infills with cornices to the ground floor and square stucco infills to the first floor, both possibly later additions. The 5-bay exchange, articulated by plain pilasters, has an eaves band and plinth forming recesses with blind semicircular-arched windows with continuous sill bands. The ridge has two 20th century cylindrical vents with conical tops. INTERIOR: not inspected. MARKET HALL EXTERIOR: attached to the rear is similar in style to Alexandra Theatre. INTERIOR: 6-bays with cast-iron columns approx 10 metres high, with wrought-iron ties and wooden principals; aisle posts are connected by arcade rails to each side forming semicircular arches with diminishing circles to the spandrels. The sloping ceilings to the aisles have diagonal planking and 4 purlins; a clerestory above the aisles has 6 square windows between each column; the central apex has 6 purlins to each side with various thin metal ties. South wall has 12 segmental-arched recesses, 2 with doors; the north aisle has a partly-glazed roof, the north wall has 8 arches and two 2/2-pane sash windows to the north-west corner. The west end abutting the Alexandra Theatre has triple semicircular-arched recesses above one similar wide recess and a 20th century metal roller shutter, the east end is occupied by a 20th century cafe. HISTORY: the site was developed after its purchase from the Rev. Richard Lane by the Wolborough Local Board in 1867. Date listed: 6th June 1972. Amended: 11th December 1986.


Unknown, Unknown, Untitled Source (Photograph). SDV338454.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV298253List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1983. Newton Abbot. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 27.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV338207Report - Assessment: Gent, T. H. + Leverett, M.. 2007. Archaeological Assessment of the Proposed Redevelopment at Wolborough Street, Bank Street and East Street, Newton Abbot. Exeter Archaeology. 07.19. A4 Stapled + Digital. 3.
SDV338232Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1972. SX8471-8571. Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Paper).
SDV338454Photograph: Unknown. Unknown. Photograph (Paper).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV108496Part of: Newton Abbot Market (Monument)
MDV9230Related to: Market House in Wolborough Street, Newton Abbot (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4214 - Wolborough Street, Bank Street & East Street, Newton Abbot

Date Last Edited:Nov 20 2014 11:46AM