HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV29510
Name:Templer House, East Street, Newton Abbot

Summary

Register office to the former Newton Abbot Hospital, built in the mid 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 861 711
Map Sheet:SX87SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishNewton Abbot
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishNEWTON ABBOT

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX87SE/217
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BUILDING (Built, XIX to Early 20th Century - 1850 AD to 1901 AD (Between))

Full description

Passmore, A. J. + Jones, P., 05/2013, Former Newton Abbot Hospital, Devon, Results of Historic Building Recording (Report - Survey). SDV351393.

Buildings 2 and F
Building 2
Templer House represents a later 19th century addition to the workhouse, with an extension on its east side of circa 1901.
The principal entrance is within the west elevation and is enclosed within a flat-roofed porch simply detailed with pilasters and a wide cornice. To each of the side walls (lighting the main original rooms) are single two-pane unhorned sash windows. Leading from the porch is a small reception area entered via an original ‘Tudor’/basket arch door of four panels, two of which are glazed. The angled eastern wall of the south room reflects the alignment of an existing boundary wall associated with the 1830s workhouse.
The interior survives in good condition, but is to an extent obscured by partitions and suspended ceilings. Both main offices are furnished with skirting boards, moulded door frames, a dado rail, and panelling to the window reveals.
Building F
The main elevation fronts East Street, with a central entrance flanked by two rooms, all treated in a classical style. The largest room, the Ella Rowcroft Room, to the east of the entrance, has a three-bay façade; the slightly taller, central bay is pedimented and framed by two pilasters, with the tympanum containing a blind oculus. The building is variously both one and two storeys high, and is constructed in grey limestone laid both in ashlar and in in rubble coursing, with yellow bricks used for dressings.
At the heart of the building is the large Ella Rowcroft Room that is embellished with polished oak panelled walls and the recess in the north elevation. The ceiling is currently obscured by a modern suspended ceiling. However, a pair of plainly incised pilasters defines the north recess, and there is a
second pair opposite on the south wall. The entablature of the pilasters continues as a circuit to the room upon which rise the ceiling ribs of a high coved ornamented ribbed ceiling, the ribs being formed into a geometric Jacobean ‘square-within-a-square’ design. The positions of fireplaces in most of the principal rooms can be identified, either from chimney stacks or the plan form of the rooms. In the Ella Rowcroft Room the panelling overlies the former fireplace. The other rooms are plainly treated, the only historic fittings are the skirting boards. The main entrance is a pair of double doors, each with six panels with chamfered sides. The smaller upper panels have arched heads. Above the
door is a large stained-glass light with flower designs. At the junction of the main corridors is a round arch (that is largely obscured by a suspended ceiling)supported on decorated console brackets.
The original stairs are preserved, and are of oak with turned balusters, three to each tread, with newel posts in the form of small fluted columns. The stairs rise in two flights to meet a centrally placed landing. The upper staircase hall leads to six small offices, a WC and a kitchen. Two of offices have been created by subdividing a larger, original room. They retain fittings such as skirting boards and door frames, all of which are fairly plain and restrained. The only significant architectural feature is a round in the corridor that is supported on decorated console brackets.

Exeter Archaeology, 2006, Newton Abbot Hospital, Devon. Archaeological Assessment and Historic Buildings Appraisal, 12, 16 (Report - Assessment). SDV347328.

Templer House and Building F. Mid 19th century register office to the hospital with an extension added circa 1901. Considered to be of high significance. See report for further details.

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Newton Abbot Hospital Templer House, East Street. Office to Newton Abbot Hospital. Mid 19th century. Stucco, slate roof. L-plan. EXTERIOR: single-storey, 4-window range. Clasping pilasters to all angles with moulded tops and plinths, plinth, wide eaves with eaves band, continuous moulded impost band. The gabled 2 ranges to the right step forward, a blind oculus with a moulded architrave and four keystones is over 6/6-pane sash windows with radial glazing bars and Gibb's style blocking to the archivolt, possibly Coade stone. Two 6/6-pane sash windows to the left have stilted segmental arches. The pilasters to the central flat-roofed enclosed porch extend above a cornice and flank a parapet wall. A slightly pedimented projecting hood on brackets is probably late 19th or 20th century. Segmental arch over 6-panel door with 2 rows of 3 vertical panels. INTERIOR: not inspected but noted as being altered, with suspended ceilings. Built as a detached boardroom block to the workhouse of 1836-9. Date listed: 22nd March 1983. Amended 11th December 1996.

Department of Environment, 22/03/1983, Newton Abbot, 16 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV338240.

District finance office at Newton Abbot Hospital. Early 19th century L-shaped building probably originally the office to the poor law institution. One storey stuccoed. Gabled ended with oculus and 2 round-headed windows. Pilasters. Portico in side.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV338240List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 22/03/1983. Newton Abbot. Historic Houses Register. A4 Bound. 16.
SDV347328Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 2006. Newton Abbot Hospital, Devon. Archaeological Assessment and Historic Buildings Appraisal. Exeter Archaeology Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 12, 16.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV351393Report - Survey: Passmore, A. J. + Jones, P.. 05/2013. Former Newton Abbot Hospital, Devon, Results of Historic Building Recording. AC Archaeology. ACD441/3/0. Digital + A4.

Associated Monuments

MDV52560Part of: Newton Abbot Hospital and Dispensary (Building)
MDV29502Part of: Newton Abbot Union Workhouse (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6155 - Historic Building Recording, Former Newton Abbot Hospital, Devon (Ref: ACD441/3/0)

Date Last Edited:Dec 19 2019 9:48AM