HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV29762
Name:Longhouse at Lower Blackaton

Summary

Former Medieval longhouse at Lower Blackaton later used as a barn. Cartographic evidence shows the building was ruinous by the late 19th century and reinstated as an outbuilding by 1952. The longhouse probably formed the nucleus of a small hamlet with perhaps three or four tenements which was absorbed by the property now known as Lower Blackaton by 1844.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 694 780
Map Sheet:SX67NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWidecombe in the Moor
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishWIDECOMBE IN THE MOOR

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX67NE/264

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LONGHOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))
  • BARN (XIX to XX - 1900 AD to 1950 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, 1843, Widecombe in the Moor (Cartographic). SDV290272.

Building shown on 19th century Tithe Map and described as an outbuilding.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Building shown on 19th century map.


French, H. + Linehan, C. D., 1963, Abandoned Medieval Sites in Widecombe in the Moor, 170 (Article in Serial). SDV345196.


Haynes, R. G., 1966-1969, Ruined Sites on Dartmoor (Un-published). SDV150434.

The deserted Medieval site known as Blackaton Tenements lies across the road. Other details: Plan - Sketch.


Beeson, M. M. R. + Masterman, M. C. H., 1979, An Archaeological Survey of Enclosed Land in Widecombe-In-The-Moor Parish, 49 (Report - Survey). SDV337078.

Site visited on 1st August 1979. Of the two buildings marked either side the yard on the Tithe Map, only one remains and is now a barn. Some foundations just beside the road. Barn could be the most southerly of the two buildings or a conversion of the northerly one. Probably dates from the 1200s. The barn has slit windows at its lower end characteristic of a shippon.


Wakeham, C. S., 2008, Archaeological Building Survey of a Former Longhouse at Lower Blackaton, Widecombe (Report - Survey). SDV345197.

The building is a short, single-storey structure built on a terrace cut slightly into the valley side. The terrace has been achieved through excavation at the western end and building up the floor at the east end beside the road. Cartographic evidence shows the building was ruinous by the late 19th century and reinstated as an outbuilding by 1952. The building is 13.55 metres long by 5.05 metres wide and built of random coursed granite rubble bonded with several lime-based mortars. The western elevation suggests that the building originally extended westwards into the field beyond. The building exhibits the main characteristics of a longhouse, having a well formed shippon layout and evidence of human habitation at the higher end. The differing wall thicknesses and alterations imply a secondary construction phase when the building was still used as a longhouse. A projection on the southern elevation may indicate a former stair turret or fireplace. The building probably formed the nucleus of a small hamlet with perhaps three or four tenements which was absorbed by the property now known as Lower Blackaton by 1844 although it was known as Higher Blackaton prior to the 19th century.


Gaimster, M., 2009, Post-Medieval Fieldwork in Britain, Northern Ireland and the Channel Isles in 2008 (Article in Serial). SDV352753.

Summarises C. Wakeham's (Exeter Archaeology) investigations of the barn, concluding that it was a previously unrecognized longhouse which had become derelict in the 19th century and was subsequently reroofed. It formed part of a small hamlet, reduced by 1844 to a single property (Exeter Archaeol. Rep. 08.18).


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Building shown on modern mapping at right angles to the west side of the road at Lower Blackaton.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV150434Un-published: Haynes, R. G.. 1966-1969. Ruined Sites on Dartmoor. Ruined Sites on Dartmoor. Manuscript + Digital.
SDV290272Cartographic: Unknown. 1843. Widecombe in the Moor. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337078Report - Survey: Beeson, M. M. R. + Masterman, M. C. H.. 1979. An Archaeological Survey of Enclosed Land in Widecombe-In-The-Moor Parish. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. Vols I - V. A4 Comb Bound. 49.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #86590 ]
SDV345196Article in Serial: French, H. + Linehan, C. D.. 1963. Abandoned Medieval Sites in Widecombe in the Moor. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 95. A5 Hardback. 170.
SDV345197Report - Survey: Wakeham, C. S.. 2008. Archaeological Building Survey of a Former Longhouse at Lower Blackaton, Widecombe. Exeter Archaeology Report. 08.18. A4 Grip Bound.
SDV352753Article in Serial: Gaimster, M.. 2009. Post-Medieval Fieldwork in Britain, Northern Ireland and the Channel Isles in 2008. Post Medieval Archaeology, p359 -423. 43/2. A4 Stapled + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV77004Part of: Lower Blackaton farmstead, Widecombe in the Moor (Monument)
MDV6100Related to: Blackdown Piper deserted Medieval site north of Lower Blackaton Farm, Widecombe (Monument)
MDV29772Related to: Lower Blackaton Farmhouse, Widecombe (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4891 - Building Survey at Former Longhouse at Lower Blackaton, Widecombe

Date Last Edited:Jul 5 2018 12:04PM