HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV29994
Name:Farmstead to east of Spanish Lake and Little Trowlesworthy Tor, Shaugh Prior

Summary

Farmstead shown on modern mapping to east of Spanish Lake and Little Trowlesworthy Tor and within a rabbit warren but not shown on earlier maps

Location

Grid Reference:SX 582 645
Map Sheet:SX56SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishShaugh Prior
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSHAUGH PRIOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56SE/266
  • Old SAM Ref: 24231

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (XIX to XX - 1900 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Not shown on mid 19th century Tithe Map.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Not shown on late 19th century map.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Farmstead not shown on early 20th century map.


Royal Air Force, 1953, 58/1110, 0038 (Aerial Photograph). SDV157241.


Linehan, C. D., 1966, Deserted Sites and Rabbit-Warrens on Dartmoor, Devon, 124 Table (Article in Serial). SDV307246.

A deserted Medieval site consisting of enclosures and one building, probably the longhouse at the head of Spanish Lake which was thought to have been used as a Warren house. The material for the longhouse came from Willings Wall Reave, north of the bog.


Haynes, R. G., 1970, Vermin Traps and Rabbit Warrens on Dartmoor, 159 (Article in Serial). SDV166302.


Fleming, A. + Collis, J., 1973, A Late Prehistoric Reave System near Cholwich Town, Dartmoor, 4 (Article in Serial). SDV358808.


Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1985, Aerial Photograph Project (Interpretation). SDV319854.

'DMS' shown on aeial photograph transcription but no reference given.


Gerrard, S., 1990-2002, Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset., 140750 (Report - Survey). SDV277946.

Site visited on 15th April 1995. Medieval farmstead in the centre of an historic field system. The farmstead is partly built upon an earlier Prehistoric reave and includes at least one long house, outbuildings, garden plot and farmyard. To the north of the long house is a second enclosure which survives as a 10 metre long and 6.4 metre wide sub rectangular area defined by a 1.2 metre wide and 0.4 metre high rubble wall which abuts the long house.


National Trust and English Heritage, 1994, The Upper Plym Valley: The Management of an Historic Landscape (Report - non-specific). SDV166309.

Thackray, c.(ed)/the upper plym valley: the management of an historic landscape/(1994)/164-5/102.543.


White, P., 2013, Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads, Little Trowlesworthy (Un-published). SDV352501.

Deserted settlement at 'Spanish Lake Head'.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

'Farmstead' shown on modern mapping.


National Monument Record, 2016, Pastscape, 439325, SX56SE77 (Website). SDV359354.

The Medieval Longhouse lies at the base of a gentle southwest facing slope. It consists of a single building, 15 metres. by 4 metres. internally, with a single partition wall near the east end. The walls, 0.7 metres. thick and 0.5 metres. high, are constructed of small, coursed, boulders, probably from the destroyed reave, which would have run across the site. The entrance, 1.0 metres. wide, is on the south side. There is possibly an outshut, 2.0 metres. wide and in poor condition, on the south side, together with the remains of an enclosure, about 7 metres. by 4 metres. A second enclosure, 11 metres. by 7 metres., is built on the north wall. There is no ground evidence that the building was used as a warren house, although there are pillow mounds to the west.
The remains of a medieval farmstead and associated field system includes at least one longhouse, outbuildings and a garden plot or farmyard. The longhouse survives as a rectangular, three-roomed building terraced into the hillside. The lower room (the byre) is the largest. The two upper rooms represent the domestic accommodation. A rubble wall 2 metres south of the longhouse and parallel to it may represent either an outshut or the remains of an earlier longhouse. South of this wall is partially enclosed area, interpreted as a farmyard or garden plot. A second enclosure lies north of the longhouse.
The field system covers approximately 16 hectares. At least 6 fields survive, most of them defined by rubble banks and associated ditches.
Whiile described as a longhouse it does not possess a cross-passage, there being only a single entrance in the south side. The east end of the building is divided from the remainder by a cross wall but there is no evidence for the division between the shippon and dwelling. Given the narrow approach to the entrance it would seem likely that if stock were kept they were probably housed in the adjacent structures. This building is typical of all alleged and documented Medieval structures in this part of the Plym Valley.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV157241Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1953. 58/1110. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. 0038.
SDV166302Article in Serial: Haynes, R. G.. 1970. Vermin Traps and Rabbit Warrens on Dartmoor. Post-Medieval Archaeology. 4. A4 Bound. 159.
SDV166309Report - non-specific: National Trust and English Heritage. 1994. The Upper Plym Valley: The Management of an Historic Landscape. National Trust Archaeological Survey Report. 102.130. A4 Comb Bound.
SDV277946Report - Survey: Gerrard, S.. 1990-2002. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. 140750.
SDV307246Article in Serial: Linehan, C. D.. 1966. Deserted Sites and Rabbit-Warrens on Dartmoor, Devon. Medieval Archaeology. 10. Digital. 124 Table.
SDV319854Interpretation: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1985. Aerial Photograph Project. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England Aerial Photograph P. Cartographic.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV352501Un-published: White, P.. 2013. Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads. Excel Spreadsheet. Little Trowlesworthy.
SDV358808Article in Serial: Fleming, A. + Collis, J.. 1973. A Late Prehistoric Reave System near Cholwich Town, Dartmoor. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Exploration Society. 31. Unknown. 4.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #86691 ]
SDV359354Website: National Monument Record. 2016. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website. 439325, SX56SE77.

Associated Monuments

MDV13511Part of: Willings Walls Warren, Shaugh Prior (Monument)
MDV24937Related to: Phillips Leat, Shaugh Prior (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 22 2016 1:14PM