HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV30006
Name:Sherwell farmhouse, Widecombe in the Moor

Summary

Farmhouse, formerly a longhouse. C17 or earlier, with later additions. Granite rubble, the front of house part-covered with roughcast. House part thatched with hip at right-hand end; left-hand side (the former shippon) slated with hip on left. Large plain granite chimneystack (probably heating former hall) on ridge at left- hand end of house part. Small C20 rendered stack at each end of building.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 678 749
Map Sheet:SX67SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWidecombe in the Moor
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishWIDECOMBE IN THE MOOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX67SE/462
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LONGHOUSE (XVII - 1601 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Middle Sherwill. House and garden. Field no 2263.


Beeson, M. M. R. + Masterman, M. C. H., 1979, An Archaeological Survey of Enclosed Land in Widecombe-In-The-Moor Parish, Vol IV, 718 (Report - Survey). SDV337078.

Visited 8/6/1979. An old partially rendered thatched house, facing south-east, with its front door to the side of the porch extension.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Depicted on the modern mapping.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England, 1242053 (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

WIDECOMBE-IN- SX 67 SE THE-MOOR 5/203 Sherwell Farmhouse -GV II
Farmhouse, formerly a longhouse. C17 or earlier, with later additions. Granite rubble, the front of house part-covered with roughcast. House part thatched with hip at right-hand end; left-hand side (the former shippon) slated with hip on left. Large plain granite chimneystack (probably heating former hall) on ridge at left- hand end of house part. Small C20 rendered stack at each end of building. Traditional 3-room plan, with 2 domestic rooms to right and former shippon to left; there is no longer a cross-passage (if one ever existed), the front door opening into a lobby. 2 storeys, with single-storey additions. House part is 2 windows wide; C19 wood casements with 2 or 3 panes per light. Projecting from the left-hand side is a small gabled building, formerly a well-house. In front of shippon end a lean-to which also forms a porch to the front doorway; latter has an old plank door with wrought-iron strap-hinges. There was formerly an outbuilding at the right-hand end, of which only a small piece of walling and the doorway remains; this has monolothic granite jambs and lintel. Interior: hall stack backs on to entrance-lobby. Built-up against it on the lobby side is a chamfered upper-floor beam. Hall fireplace is chamfered, with monolithic granite jambs and lintel. Upper floor beams chamfered, the stops (if any ever existed) having been worn away; chamfered joists with step stops. Stone wall divides off the inner room, which is quite large and seems to have been a kitchen. Gable fireplace with plain granite jambs and lintel; oven in the back having stone- framed opening with shallow shelf in front. To left of fireplace a winding granite staircase with blocked slit window. Upper floor beam is rough and unchamfered; joists C20. Second storey not inspected. Owner says she believes the shippon survived until shortly before she arrived in 1950s. Mrs F Wilkinson thinks this may once have been a mirrored pair of longhouses, each with a domestic room and a shippon.
Listing NGR: SX6788074913

Sources / Further Reading

SDV337078Report - Survey: Beeson, M. M. R. + Masterman, M. C. H.. 1979. An Archaeological Survey of Enclosed Land in Widecombe-In-The-Moor Parish. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. Vols I - V. A4 Comb Bound. Vol IV, 718.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #86700 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website. 1242053.

Associated Monuments

MDV30008Part of: Sherwell Farm, Widecombe in the Moor (Monument)
MDV30012Related to: Hornet's Castle, Sherwell, Widecombe (Building)
MDV30005Related to: Outbuilding 20 metres north-east of Sherwell Farmhouse, Widecombe (Building)
MDV30011Related to: Site of a second house at Hornet's Castle, Widecombe (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 14 2015 11:37AM