HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV30047
Name:Church of St. John the Baptist, Leusdon

Summary

Parish church, originally a chapel of ease of Widecombe. Constructed in 1863 by J. W. Rowell of Newton Abbot. Squared granite rubble with details in limestone. Slated roof. Geometrical decorated style. Carved limestone pulpit.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 709 732
Map Sheet:SX77SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWidecombe in the Moor
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishWIDECOMBE IN THE MOOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 615308
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX77SW/236
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL OF EASE (XIX - 1863 AD to 1863 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1986, Widecombe in the Moor, 137 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV289221.

Leusdon, Church of St. John the Baptist. Parish church, originally a chapel of ease of Widecombe. Constructed in 1863 by J. W. Rowell of Newton Abbot. Squared granite rubble with details in limestone. Slated roof. Geometrical decorated style. Carved limestone pulpit. Many other features see List for full details.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Depicted on the modern mapping.


English Heritage, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV357602.

WIDECOMBE-IN- LEUSDON SX 77 SW THE-MOOR 6/234 Church of St John the Baptist - II
Parish church, originally a chapel-of-ease of Widecombe. 1863 by J W Rowell of Newton Abbot, architect to the Palk estate. Squared granite rubble with details in limestone, probably Bath stone. Slated roof. Nave, chancel, south porch, south tower attached to junction of nave and chancel. Designed in a "geometrical decorated style". Side-walls of nave have 2-light windows with pointed arches, the lights with trefoiled heads and a quatrefoil in the head of the window. Chancel has trefoiled lancet windows. East and west windows have trefoil-headed lights, 3 on the east and 4 on the west, with 3 quatrefoils in the heads of the windows. 2-stage tower with flanking buttresses at the base. In south face a clock under a triangular stone canopy. Belfry has paired, trefoil-headed lancets in each face. Thin bracketed cornice above, finished with a parapet. Interior is very simple. Pointed, double-chamfered chancel arch of alternating limestone and granite blocks. Carved limestone pulpit with grey marble balusters. Octagonal limestone font with pink marble shaft. Carved wood reredos of circa 1907. 4 stained glass windows, 2 of them of circa 1879 and 1915; a third is inscribed with the name A A Orr, Harrow, 1912, and the initials A A O appear on the window of circa 1915. Built and endowed by Mrs C R Larpent "in lieu of the long ruined chapel of St Leonard, at Spitchwick". Sources: information from the C19 Devon Churches Research Group. White's Directory of Devonshire, 1878, p.849. R Dymond, ed., Widecombe-in-the-Moor, 1876, p.21.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV289221List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Widecombe in the Moor. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet. 137.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #86728 ]
SDV357602National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV7460Related to: St Pancras Church, Widecombe-in-the-Moor (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 19 2017 12:28PM