HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV30062
Name:East Shallowford Farmhouse


East Shallowford farmhouse was formerly a longhouse built in the 16th century or earlier with later additions


Grid Reference:SX 694 756
Map Sheet:SX67NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWidecombe in the Moor
Ecclesiastical ParishWIDECOMBE IN THE MOOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX67NE/281
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 440863

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LONGHOUSE (XIV to XVII - 1400 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, 1843, Widecombe in the Moor (Cartographic). SDV290272.

'East Shollaford' in Field Number 1412, court, houses etc.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'East Shallowford' farmstead shown on 19th century map as an irregular group of buildings around a central yard with a track to the south. The farmhouse is shown as a rectangulsr building with an extensions to the east and north-east.

Beeson, M. M. R. + Masterman, M. C. H., 1979, An Archaeological Survey of Enclosed Land in Widecombe-In-The-Moor Parish (Report - Survey). SDV337078.

Visited on 13th July 1979. The modern name is East Shallowford. An old longhouse which has been modernised in the last ten years. Other details: Number 734.

Department of Environment, 1986, Widecombe in the Moor, 96 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV289221.

Pidgeon, J. R., 2007, East Shallowford Farm, Widecombe-in-the-Moor: Historical and Archaeological Survey Prior to Proposed Building Works (Report - Survey). SDV345000.

An archaeological and historical survey of East Shallowford Farm was undertaken in May 2007 prior to proposed building works. East Shallowford farmhouse is a long rectangular two storey building 21.5 metres by 6.5 metres wide aligned approximately north-west to south-east with a two storey cross-wing extension of 4.5 metres by 5 metres against the north-east rear wall and single storey extensions to the main house to the south-east and north-west. It is mainly constructed of rendered roughcast granite rubble with a small porch about mid way along the front wall and a hipped artificial slate roof to the main building. A gabled roof of the same material covers the cross-wing and the other additions have corrugated roof cladding. There are two masonry chimneys, one to the main part of the house and one to the extension. Seven phases of construction are outlined.
Phase I; consists of the typical Late Medieval longhouse which was probably a single storey granite rubble building. The presence of dressed quoins suggest a 15th certury or later date.
Phase II: replacement of the timber cross-passage screen with a granite wall associated with the hall fireplace and ceiling and the stair turret.
Phase III: the cross-wing back parlour abutting the stair turret was added in the 17th century.
Phase IV: a dairy was built in the 18th century on the north side of the longhouse. The rubble built outshot allowed access to the shippen at the west end of the longhouse and the hall in the centre.
Phase V: in the 19th century a single storey rubblework extension was added as a kitchen to the parlour in the south-east gable of the longhouse.
Phase VI: the house underwent a major renovation in the early 20th century when the house was used as a tea-room. The house was reroofed at this time with softwood framing and artificial slates.
Phase VII: in the late 20th century a single concrete block boiler room and outside toilet were added at the angle between the back kitchen and the cross-wing.
Despite the modern fenestration and much alteration East Shallowford farmhouse retains many original features. Other details: Figures 1-13.

English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

East Shallowford farmhouse was Listed on 3rd November 1986. Farmhouse, formerly a longhouse, built in the 16th century or earlier; probably extended at right-hand end and rear wing added. Solid, roughcast walls, probably of granite. Asbestos-slated roof, half-hipped. Old roughcast chimney with thatch weatherings on ridge at left-hand end of old house-part. Small rendered chimney towards right-hand end of ridge. Large rendered chimney on gable of rear wing. Plan consists of through-passage with hall and inner room to right; former shippon (now living accommodation) to left. To right of inner room a service room, possibly a dairy; to rear, leading out of hall, a room with fireplace, possibly a parlour. Two storeys. House-part three windows wide, the left-hand window (in front of hall) projecting slightly. 19th century casements with glazing-bars. To left of house-part two doorways, one to through-passage and the other presumably to the former shippon. Doorways have a single wide porch with pent roof; open front, stone side-walls, the right-hand wall with built-in seat.
Interior: Hall has chamfered upper-floor beam with bar-stops. One end, rather curiously, is buried by the 16th century chimneystack. Wide fireplace with granite jambs, chamfered wood lintel with run-out stops, the left end chamfered beyond the jamb; a small chamber seems to have been inserted to left of fireplace. Above the lintel a relieving arch, the semi-circular space beneath filled with two specially-cut pieces of granite. Back of fireplace to passage is of granite ashlar, but without the cornice and plinth usual on Dartmoor. Good plank door at rear of passage, re-faced on outside. Rounded stair turret with stone steps at rear of hall. Rear wing fireplace has plain granite lintel. Upper storey not inspected. Owner says she heard from a previous owner that cows used to be kept in the lower end. Other details: LBS Number 440863.

Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV289221List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Widecombe in the Moor. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet. 96.
SDV290272Cartographic: Unknown. 1843. Widecombe in the Moor. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337078Report - Survey: Beeson, M. M. R. + Masterman, M. C. H.. 1979. An Archaeological Survey of Enclosed Land in Widecombe-In-The-Moor Parish. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. Vols I - V. A4 Comb Bound.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #86740 ]
SDV345000Report - Survey: Pidgeon, J. R.. 2007. East Shallowford Farm, Widecombe-in-the-Moor: Historical and Archaeological Survey Prior to Proposed Building Works. A4 Spiral Bound.

Associated Monuments

MDV30061Part of: East Shallowford Farmstead, Widecombe in the Moor (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4856 - East Shallowford Farmhouse Building Survey

Date Last Edited:Sep 3 2010 12:36PM