HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV30069
Name:Barn and Granary at Prowse

Summary

Barn at prowse. A medieval threshing barn lies to the sw of the house. There are two barn sections with raised floors, the larger was on a west-east alignment, the smaller north-south. The larger one functioned as a straw and grain store whilst the smaller one stored sheaves of corn in readiness for flailing. Between the sections was a 3m wide west-east drift house used for flailing. The larger barn section was two storeyed and the ground floor was used as a shippon originally in cob there have been some stone replacement sections. It was thatched until the 1930s. Other features include jointed cruck couples, threaded purlins and ridge sections in the roof structure (hulland).

Location

Grid Reference:SS 843 054
Map Sheet:SS80NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSandford
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSANDFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS80NW/7/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 446857

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BARN (XVI to XIX - 1501 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV329949.

Barn, 16th century altered in 19th century. Cob on rubble footings with 19th century work in mortared volcanic rubble; corrugated iron roof (formerly thatch). See doe list for full details (doe).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV44517.

Doe/hhr:sandford/(20/5/1985)146.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV44518.

Des=keystone/devon dendro project/(k397/8)/(1997)4.


Hulland, C., 1984, Devonshire Farmhouses Part IV: More Medieval Houses in North and Mid Devon, 37-38 (Article in Serial). SDV351736.

Barn at Prowse. A medieval threshing barn lies to the south-west of the house. There are two barn sections with raised floors, the larger was on a west-east alignment, the smaller north-south. The larger one functioned as a straw and grain store whilst the smaller one stored sheaves of corn in readiness for flailing. Between the sections was a 3 metres wide west-east drift house used for flailing. The larger barn section was two storeyed and the ground floor was used as a shippon originally in cob there have been some stone replacement sections. It was thatched until the 1930s. Other features include jointed cruck couples, threaded purlins and ridge sections in the roof structure.


Unknown, 1997, Interim Report on Devon Dendrochronology Projcet (Report - Interim). SDV230147.

Vis=4/3/1996 (keystone) t-plan cob walled threshing barn made up of a 4 bay s block on an e-w axis, with a 3 bay n range on n-s axis projecting n, just e of centre. S block built across slope is terraced into it to the rear, making use of drop of land to create a byre below the barn at s end. Pre-dates other bank barns by at least 2 centuries. Dendrochronological analysis provided a felling date 1483-c.1490 (keystone).


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Barn and adjoining granary over shippon. C16, altered in C19. Cob on rubble footings with C19 work in mortared volcanic rubble; corrugated iron roof (formerly thatch). Barn on north-south axis with large opposing doors to threshing floor at south end and adjoining granary block at right angles projecting each end. In C19 horse engine house was built onto east side of barn and south wall of granary rebuilt to provide shippon with hayloft and stores above. East-facing front has gable-ended engine-house with unglazed brick lined window and segmental arch projecting to right of full height barn doorway. To left gable end of granary has sets of 4 pigeon-holes either side of C17 owl-hole. Barn roof is half-hipped to right (north) and that end includes narrow ventilator. South side has central portion built of rubble between pilaster buttresses which includes 2 wide openings to shippon below hayloft loading bay flanked by narrow ventilators. West side of barn has slight projecting midstrey walls. Barn has 3-bay roof on side-pegged jointed cruck trusses and granary has similar 4 bay roof. The cob wall between has been removed and one of removed cruck feet is replaced by massive wooden screw from C19 cider press.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV230147Report - Interim: Unknown. 1997. Interim Report on Devon Dendrochronology Projcet. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. K397/1. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV329949Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #86744 ]
SDV351736Article in Serial: Hulland, C.. 1984. Devonshire Farmhouses Part IV: More Medieval Houses in North and Mid Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 116. A5 Hardback. 37-38.
SDV44517Migrated Record:
SDV44518Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments

MDV30070Parent of: Prowse Horse Engine House (Building)
MDV5523Related to: Prowse Farmhouse (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 4 2014 9:50AM