HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV30345
Name:Lower Quarry Farmhouse

Summary

Longhouse, now house built in the early-mid 17th century with an 18th century dairy outshut to rear of upper end, mid 19th century two-storey addition to right with 20th century alterations. Granite and slatestone rubble with large granite quoins to first building. Slate roofs, hipped over 19th century building, with ridge stack heating original hall.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 519 738
Map Sheet:SX57SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWhitchurch
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWHITCHURCH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX57SW/111
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 94093

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LONGHOUSE (XVI to XVII - 1600 AD to 1699 AD (Between))
  • DAIRY (XVII to XVIII - 1700 AD to 1799 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Lower Quarry' shown on 19th century map as a long irregular shaped building.


Department of Environment, 1987, Whitchurch, 132 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV348363.

Farmhouse, now house. Early-mid 17th century, probably 18th century dairy outshut to rear of upper end, mid 19th century 2-storey additions to right, 20th century alterations. Slate roofs. Three room and through passage plan with shippen left. Early house at lower level.


Brown, S., 2010, Lower Quarry Farmhouse, Moortown: Archaeological Appraisal and Statement of Significance (Report - Assessment). SDV348364.

Four phases of development were identified at Lower Quarry farmhouse in Moortown.
Phase 1: the remaining parts of the 16th or early 17th century longhouse comprise the ground floor hall and inner room which have been remodelled as a kitchen/diner. The hall fireplace survives behind modern cladding with the remains of a round side oven to the west. To the south of the fireplace is a blocked doorway. The masonry of the old house is a mixture of granite moorstone and local slatestone.
Phase 2: the west end of the house was originally occupied by a shippon which was rebuilt in the 18th or early 19th century as a two storey structure. The first floor was extended along the length of the building and a lean-to dairy was built to the rear of the shippon.
Phase 3: in the early-mid 19th century a new block was added to the east end of the house providing a dining room and parlour on the ground floor with bedrooms above. A lean-to outshut which may have been a wash-house was built to the rear of the house and a stone walled butter well was built projecting from the lean-to.
Phase 4: in the 20th century many alterations were made to the interior of the house and new doors and windows were inserted.
A sale catalogue dated 1919 describes 'a dwelling house containing two sitting rooms, kitchen, wash house, wood house and usual offices plus five bedrooms and attic. There is a two stall stable and a cow shippon'.
Alterations proposed in 2010 included restoring many historic features, opening blocked doorways and remodelling various features.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

'Lower Quarry' shown on modern mapping.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Lower Quarry farmhouse is now a house. Built in the early-mid 17th century with an 18th century dairy outshut to rear of upper end, mid 19th century two-storey addition to right with 20th century alterations. Granite and slatestone rubble with large granite quoins to first building. Slate roofs, hipped over 19th century building, with ridge stack heating original hall.
Plan: three-room and through passage, with shippon to left, possibly originally open to passage, hall and inner room to right. Dairy outshut to rear with access from hall. Site of original stair uncertain, as hall and inner room have been remodelled in 20th century as one room. Hall heated by axial stack backing on to passage, no fireplace remaining. Rear of passage enclosed within further addition to rear. Two storey 19th century addition to right, originally of two-room plan with central entrance leading to passage, stair well to rear left, in 20th century remodelled as one room at gorund floor with 20th century stair along wall to left. Early house at lower roof level to left, of two storeys. Shippon has blocked door and two two-light casements under eaves, large weathered stack; to left of stack, original door to passage, now blocked, with cambered head and jambs in granite; hall and inner room to right have two-light casement with slate dripstone, 20th century window and small single light in plain granite surround, at first floor two two-light casements and six-pane light. Left gable end of shippon has 20th century double doors and loading door above, three pigeon holes in gable with slate perches. Rear of first building has six-pane 20th century dormer to left, dairy outshut has single light and door, second lean-to to left has corrugated iron roof and 20th century window; rear of shippon has 20th century window and single light with timber lintel. 19th century building to right of two storeys, stepped forward from early building, with three windows, all two-light casements with flat granite lintels, central 20th century gabled porch with glazed door; stacks removed. Right gable end has 20th century three-light casement at ground floor. Rear has central 15-pane light under eaves, to right a 9-pane light at ground floor and 15-pane light at first floor, formerly to stair.
Interior This is much altered, but original pasage remains, with blocked four-centred arched doorway to former hall and curved oven projection to rear of stack; no evidence of original wall closing shippon, formerly had loft over, 20th century roof. From hall, door to rear dairy has strap hinges and circular ventilation hole, recess in rear wall, possibly originally doorway in inner room and leading to former addition. Other details: LBS Number 94093.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #86831 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV348363List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Whitchurch. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet. 132.
SDV348364Report - Assessment: Brown, S.. 2010. Lower Quarry Farmhouse, Moortown: Archaeological Appraisal and Statement of Significance. Stewart Brown Associates Report. A4 Spiral Bound + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV106988Part of: Lower Quarry Farm, Whitchurch (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5677 - Building Survey at Lower Quarry Farmhouse

Date Last Edited:Oct 17 2016 9:05AM