HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV30382
Name:Langford Farmhouse

Summary

Mid 17th century thatched farmhouse, with wing added in early 18th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 438 941
Map Sheet:SX49SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGermansweek
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishGERMANSWEEK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX49SW/28/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 94333

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVII to XVIII - 1601 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1987, Germansweek (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV344125.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Farmhouse, circa mid 17th century with circa early 18th century addition and probably contemporary attached barn converted in late 20th century. Walls are rubble up to first floor height and cob above, rendered. Hipped thatched roof to house half-hipped slate roof to converted barn. Two axial rubble stacks one to wing one to main part of house.
Plan at present is L-shaped with one-room wing at front of right end of house and converted barn or shippon attached at left end. The original part of the house is the central block which has two rooms of which the right-hand one is larger and heated by an axial stack, with a smaller unheated service room to its left The barn/shippon extending from the left end of the house may be original but might otherwise have been added at the same time that a one-room wing heated by an axial stack was added to the front of the right-hand wing, probably as a parlour in the 18th century. At present there is an end entry into the right-hand room; it would be unusual, however, if this formed the original entrance to the house and probably it had to be moved there when the 18th century wing blocked the original entrance to the house. Two storeys. Asymmetrical two window front with wing projecting from right-hand side and converted shippon extending at left end. Circa early 20th century casements with glazing bars - two light on the first floor, three-light on the ground floor. The shippon has late 20th century two-light casements. On the right end wall of the house is a straight joint between the original part and the wing. Lean-to porch against this wall has a 17th century granite segmental-headed doorway with hollow chamfer and deeply inscribed scroll stops. This has been re-used either from the original front door to the house or from another building. Twentieth century plank door behind. At the rear of the house is a late 20th century lean-to porch to the right and irregularly spaced 20th century casements to its left.
Interior: The principal room has a fireplace with chamfered wooden lintel which has run-out stops. Its granite jambs are both chamfered on the outside and have presumably been turned around. Any other surviving original features are concealed. The roof trusses, however, are 18th century with straight principals which have lapped and pegged collars.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #86847 ]
SDV344125List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Germansweek. Provisional List. Unknown.

Associated Monuments

MDV16337Part of: Langford (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 25 2010 2:50PM