HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV3060
Name:Milestone near Bittaford village sign

Summary

18th century granite milestone moved from the old road between Bittaford and Little Bittaford to the east in 1973. The stone is inscribed 'To/Plymth/14/Miles/To/Totnes/9/Miles'. The worn stone was moved to the south side of the new road to the northeast of Meadow View on the verge behind the village sign & was chipped at the time of the survey in 2004.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 669 568
Map Sheet:SX65NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishUgborough
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishUGBOROUGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NE/144

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MILESTONE (XVIII to XXI - 1701 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1906, 125NE (Cartographic). SDV160600.

'Milestone' indicated on OS 6" (1906) but not on OS 6" (1969).

Masson Phillips, E. N., 1972, Untitled Source, 16-7 (Article in Serial). SDV160601.

A milestone used to stand in the hedge on the west side of the road between Bittaford and Little Bittaford, but this part of the road was replaced by a new section a little to the west in 1973. In october 1974 the stone was put up on the west side of the new road about 190m higher up the hill towards Bittaford. The stone stands 1m high with two adjacent sides smooth-cut and have the inscriptions "To Totnes 9 miles" and "To Plymth 14 miles" (sic) respectively. The back of the stone is rough and the top has been carefully rounded above the inscribed sides but is now weather worn. The lettering is in very good condition (1974); the capitals are 102mm long, the others slightly shorter. The numerals approx 102mm long. Each side of the stone is about 300mm wide. There is a small bench-mark arrow on top of the stone, the head pointing towards the angle made by the two inscribed sides. This would seem to place the stone at SX67005686 where the OS SX65 map marks elevation point of 102m.

Jenkinson, T., 2018, Totnes to Plymouth (B3210/A3121/A379) (Report - Survey). SDV324109.

Granite milestone erected by the Totnes & Berry Pomeroy Turnpike Trust at SX67005685 on the south side of the former road c1765. The stone is inscribed 'To/Plymth/14/Miles/To/Totnes/9/Miles'. The worn stone was moved to the south side of the new road to the northeast of Meadow View on the verge behind the village sign & was chipped at the time of the survey in 2004.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV160600Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1906. 125NE. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map. Map (Paper).
SDV160601Article in Serial: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1972. The Devon Historian. 5. Unknown. 16-7.
SDV324109Report - Survey: Jenkinson, T.. 2018. Totnes to Plymouth (B3210/A3121/A379). Devon Milestone Survey. A4 Stapled + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV46595Related to: Roadside milestone south-west of Monksmoor Bridge, Ugborough (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV2994 - Totnes to Plymouth (B3210/A3121/A379)

Date Last Edited:Sep 11 2020 1:00PM