HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV30678
Name:Bridge over Ruddycleave Water

Summary

Bridge carrying road over Ruddycleave Water. Early 19th century granite rubble. A single segmental arch with well-cut voussoirs. Rubble parapet with coping of large, roughly squared granite blocks. Before the bridge was built, there was a ford here, named 'Juhelisforde' in the 13th century Charters bequeathing the land to Torre Abbey.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 724 730
Map Sheet:SX77SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBuckland in the Moor
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBUCKLAND IN THE MOOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX77SW/317
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FORD (First mentioned, XII to XIII - 1200 AD to 1299 AD (Between))
  • ROAD BRIDGE (Built, XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1850 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV315484.

Des=os 6" 1964 map.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV315485.

Des=worksheet(belsey,1987,checklist).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV315486.

Doe/hhr:buckland in the moor/(3/11/1986)27.


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV330105.

Bridge shown as bridge on os 6" 1964 map. Vis=25/3/1985 (belsey). Bridge. Single span granite bridge with stone parapets carries the ashburton/buckland road over ruddycleave water. According to mr pascoe of beacon cottages the original bridge was totally destroyed by floods of 1938 except for the western abuttment (belsey). Vis=bridge carrying road over ruddycleave water. Early 19th century granite rubble. A single segmental arch with well-cut voussoirs. Rubble parapet with coping of large, roughly squared granite blocks (doe).


Brown, M., 1996, A guide to the Parish of Buckland-in-the-Moor, 8 (Monograph). SDV361770.

The site was named in the 13th century charters (when the corn mill was recorded) as 'Juhelisforde', when the land was bequeathed to Torre Abbey. The name survived, in a corrupted form, until well into the 19th century, when Pudsham Down was still referred to as Giles Down; Giles a likely derivation of the earlier name Juhelis.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV315484Migrated Record:
SDV315485Migrated Record:
SDV315486Migrated Record:
SDV330105Report - Survey: Department of Environment.
SDV361770Monograph: Brown, M.. 1996. A guide to the Parish of Buckland-in-the-Moor. A guide to the Parish of Buckland-in-the-Moor. A5 Paperback. 8.

Associated Monuments

MDV30701Related to: Bridge Cottage, Buckland in the Moor (Building)
MDV31005Related to: Ruddycleave Cottage, Buckland in the Moor (Building)
MDV30710Related to: Woodleigh's Wood, Buckland in the Moor (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 18 2018 12:28PM