HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV30687
Name:Southbrook farmstead, Buckland in the Moor

Summary

Mentioned in the Domesday Book as 'Sotebrook', and later (in connection with Torre Abbey) as 'Suthbrok'. The farm was sub-divided into separate tenements in former times. But during the early 19th century, the farm was unified as a single property. Depicted on the Tithe Map, it was altered in the mid-late 19th century and the layout has remained largely similar.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 724 729
Map Sheet:SX77SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBuckland in the Moor
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBUCKLAND IN THE MOOR

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX77SW/306/1

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (X to XI - 901 AD? to 1086 AD (Between))

Full description

South West Heritage Trust, 1838-1848, Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments (Cartographic). SDV359954.

South Brook is shown on the Tithe Map, on both sides of the road. Layout consists of Four main buildings clustered at the centre of the farm, all rectangular and all but one aligned east-west. A small structure lies just to the north and another rectangular structure is set further south, in an isolated position. 1 on athe apportionment; owned by Sir John Leman Rogers Baronet, Robert Hurrell Troute Reverent and Henry Karslake, occupied by Edward Smerdon.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

By the later 19th century, the farm has developed and several buildings have been added/altered. The house has been extended, as has the isolated barn to the south (including the addition of a large semi-circular horse engine house to the north-east side), while a new building has been added parallel to the house and some alterations have taken place to the buildings to the east, one of which is marked as a school.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1932, The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two, 525 (Monograph). SDV337894.

Southbrook appears again in Torre Abbey cartulary which is held at the public record office. This entry is circa 1200 and the name is spelt 'Suthbrok'.


Seymour, D. J., 1977, Torre Abbey. An Account of its History, Buildings, Cartularies and Lands, 130 (Monograph). SDV340436.

Southbrook was the site for the former courthouse of the Manor of Buckland.


Belsey, P. M., 1983 - 1987, Buckland In The Moor Parish Checklist (Un-published). SDV345904.

The first mention of Southbrook Farm is in the Domesday Book where it states that Mortain holds Sotebrook from Ordulf and goes on to describe land and people there.
Various documents held at the Devon Record Office i.e. leases, grants, letters refer to Southbrook throughout the Middle Ages. (Full details are given on worksheet). It is, as its name implies, south of the stream and this site has been mentioned in documents since the 13th century.


Dartmoor National Park Authority, 1993 - 1997, Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 1993-1997 (Report - Survey). SDV344544.

Farmstead included in survey. Visited on 27/02/1995.


Brown, M., 1996, A guide to the Parish of Buckland-in-the-Moor, 19 (Monograph). SDV361770.

Southbrook, like Bowden was sub-divided into separate tenements in former times. Smerdons (originating from Elliott's Hill Farm) were tenants here for three or four successive generations. During the early 19th century, the farm was unified as a single property.
There was a school at Southbrook in the 19th century; in 1880 12 children attended.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Modern map shows most of the buildings have been converted into dwellings.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337894Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1932. The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two. The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two. IX. A5 Hardback. 525.
SDV340436Monograph: Seymour, D. J.. 1977. Torre Abbey. An Account of its History, Buildings, Cartularies and Lands. Torre Abbey. An Account of its History, Buildings, Cartularies and Lands. Photocopy + Digital. 130.
SDV344544Report - Survey: Dartmoor National Park Authority. 1993 - 1997. Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 1993-1997. dartmoor National Park Authority. Mixed Archive Material.
SDV345904Un-published: Belsey, P. M.. 1983 - 1987. Buckland In The Moor Parish Checklist. Parish Checklist. A4 Single Sheet.
SDV359954Cartographic: South West Heritage Trust. 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Maps and Transcribed Apportionments. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #86956 ]
SDV361770Monograph: Brown, M.. 1996. A guide to the Parish of Buckland-in-the-Moor. A guide to the Parish of Buckland-in-the-Moor. A5 Paperback. 19.

Associated Monuments

MDV30688Parent of: Southbrook farmhouse, Buckland in the Moor (Building)
MDV80792Related to: K6 Telephone box, Southbrook Farm (Building)
MDV31003Related to: Site of school opposite Southbrook Farm, Buckland in the Moor (Building)
MDV31004Related to: Southbrook / Little Brook Cottage, Buckland in the Moor (Building)
MDV30686Related to: Southbrook Barn and Horse Engine House, Buckland in the Moor (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 18 2018 2:33PM