HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV3070
Name:Carew Reservoir, Ugborough

Summary

SX 6533 5695 At the edge of the open moor just above the moor gate north of davey's cross; a stone drinking trough for animals. Inside measurements, length 3.51m, width 1.067m. The trough is placed at the foot of a stone wall 1.524m on which there is an inscribed tablet 711mm long by 432mm. There are nine upright stones set on top of the wall and six larger stones set upright in the bank of a reservoir built into the hillside behind the trough. The trough is still in use. It is fed from the reservoir or spring from higher ground on the southern slope of western beacon. The inscription on the tablet, in block letters: this reservoir was made by/ mr john widdecombe of torrhill/ with the consent of/ sir w. P. Carew,bart. / lord of the manor/ for the use of stock depastured/ on the moor/ may the spring never fail/ october xii, mdccclxvi/.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 653 569
Map Sheet:SX65NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishUgborough
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishUGBOROUGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NE/155

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TROUGH (XIX - 1866 AD to 1866 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV162032.

At the edge of the open moor just above the moor gate north of davey's cross; a stone drinking trough for animals. Inside measurements, length 3.51m, width 1.067m. The trough is placed at the foot of a stone wall 1.524m on which there is an inscribed tablet 711mm long by 432mm. There are nine upright stones set on top of the wall and six larger stones set upright in the bank of a reservoir built into the hillside behind the trough. The trough is still in use. It is fed from the reservoir or spring from higher ground on the southern slope of western beacon. The inscription on the tablet, in block letters: this reservoir was made by/ mr john widdecombe of torrhill/ with the consent of/ sir w. P. Carew,bart. / lord of the manor/ for the use of stock depastured/ on the moor/ may the spring never fail/ october xii, mdccclxvi/.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV162033.

?.

Perrin, R., 2016, Ugborough Parish Heritage Appraisal Second Edition, 539 (Report - Assessment). SDV360390.

‘Carew Reservoir’. There is a stone drinking trough for animals 150m from the moor gate north of Davey’s Cross, inside length 3.5m, width 1.7. It is set at foot of stone wall on top of which are nine upright stones with six larger stones upright in the bank of a circular reservoir built into the hillside and previously fed from a leat (UG 538). The reservoir is now empty but the trough is still fed from a
spring at its base. A tablet set into the wall of the trough reads in block letters: ‘This reservoir was made by Mr. John Widdecombe of Torrhill with the consent of Sir W.P.Carew, bart. Lord of the Manor for the use of stock depastured on the moor may the spring never fail October XII MDCCCLXVI’.
AP 1946 shows a straight line (also visible on the ground in 2012) from the reservoir to Rutt Quarry (UG 412) that might have been a further leat for supplying the quarry.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV162032Migrated Record:
SDV162033Migrated Record:
SDV360390Report - Assessment: Perrin, R.. 2016. Ugborough Parish Heritage Appraisal Second Edition. Ugborough Local History Group. A4 Bound. 539.

Associated Monuments

MDV120572Related to: Reservoir on the southern edge of Ugborough Moor (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 12 2020 4:22PM