HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV30990
Name:Stable and pigsties, Ruddycleave Farm

Summary

Range of farm buildings to the north of the farmhouse at Ruddycleave Farm, including stables and three pigsties. Granite rubble construction with corrugated iron roof. Stable is partly lofted but was probably completely lofted originally.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 730 741
Map Sheet:SX77SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBuckland in the Moor
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBUCKLAND IN THE MOOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX77SW/305/4
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 85246

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • STABLE (XVII to XVIII - 1700 AD to 1799 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Farm buildings to the north of the farmhouse at Ruddycleave depicted on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map as they appear today.


Belsey, P. M., 1983 - 1987, Buckland In The Moor Parish Checklist (Un-published). SDV345904.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.


English Heritage, 2011, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV347072.

Stable and pigsties in one range about 10 metres north-east of Ruddycleave Farmhouse, though of two distinct builds. Probably 18th century, granite rubble construction. Roofs covered with corrugated iron. One storey; the stable is part-lofted and was probably completely lofted originally. The stable, to right, has had a large opening cut in the right-hand side of its front wall; small window with granite lintel, probably original to left.
Three pigsties, each with a doorway having a granite lintel; left-hand doorway blocked, the other two having plank doors with old strap hinges. At the base of the wall are three smaller feeding apertures with granite lintels, the base of each opening formed by the outer edge of a granite feeding trough within the sty. The two right-hand apertures have plank doors with old iron strap-hinges and latches. Above each aperture is a slit window. Stable roof- structure is possibly original, with collars pegged to the faces of the principal rafters. Other details: LB UID: 85246.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV345904Un-published: Belsey, P. M.. 1983 - 1987. Buckland In The Moor Parish Checklist. Parish Checklist. A4 Single Sheet.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #87041 ]
SDV347072National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2011. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV30992Part of: Ruddycleave farmstead, Buckland in the Moor (Monument)
MDV31064Related to: Barn at Ruddycleave Farm (Building)
MDV30988Related to: Outbuilding south-west of farmhouse, Ruddycleave (Building)
MDV30993Related to: Ruddycleave Farmhouse, Buckland in the Moor (Building)
MDV30991Related to: Shippon at Ruddycleave Farm (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 9 2016 11:29AM