HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV31003
Name:Site of school opposite Southbrook Farm, Buckland in the Moor

Summary

A school was once housed in this building, which dates to at least the early 19th century. Thought to have closed before 1914, perhaps in 1909.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 725 729
Map Sheet:SX77SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBuckland in the Moor
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBUCKLAND IN THE MOOR

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX77SW/296

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (XVIII to XX - 1800 AD to 1909 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Building is depicted on the Tithe Map.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'School' depicted on the late 19th century historic map.


Belsey, P. M., 1983 - 1987, Buckland In The Moor Parish Checklist (Un-published). SDV345904.

17/11/1984. The School House. The lower of two semi-detached stone and slate roofed cottages situated at right angles to the road opposite Southbrook Farm. The north cottage has a chimney at either end and two semi-dormer casement windows to the upper storey; the south cottage has one chimney at south end, small slated porch and a single storey building attached to the south end which was the former schoolroom. There are two outside loos in the garden near the road now used as sheds and being repaired. According to Mr Stanley Gill the school was built by the Bastard family (the Lords of the Manor) and closed prior to 1914, possibly 1909. For other brief references to the school see worksheet.


Brown, M., 1996, A guide to the Parish of Buckland-in-the-Moor, 19 (Monograph). SDV361770.

There was a school at Southbrook; in the 1880s, there were just twelve children attending.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

'Whitburn' is depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV345904Un-published: Belsey, P. M.. 1983 - 1987. Buckland In The Moor Parish Checklist. Parish Checklist. A4 Single Sheet.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #87054 ]
SDV361770Monograph: Brown, M.. 1996. A guide to the Parish of Buckland-in-the-Moor. A guide to the Parish of Buckland-in-the-Moor. A5 Paperback. 19.

Associated Monuments

MDV80792Related to: K6 Telephone box, Southbrook Farm (Building)
MDV31004Related to: Southbrook / Little Brook Cottage, Buckland in the Moor (Building)
MDV30686Related to: Southbrook Barn and Horse Engine House, Buckland in the Moor (Building)
MDV30688Related to: Southbrook farmhouse, Buckland in the Moor (Building)
MDV30687Related to: Southbrook farmstead, Buckland in the Moor (Monument)
MDV30958Related to: Trough in wall at Southbrook, Buckland in the Moor (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 18 2018 2:36PM