HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV3138
Name:The Redlake China Clay Railway

Summary

The Redlake China Clay Railway. Had one inclined plane and was opened in 1911 to transport workers, supplies and coal from Bittaford to the china clay works at Redlake. The clay was then piped down to Bittaford on the main line. The company closed in 1932. Parts of the track can be followed. The turntable can be seen above the incline. Also known as the 'Puffing Billy' track.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 646 636
Map Sheet:SX66SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
Civil ParishHarford
Civil ParishUgborough
DistrictSouth Hams
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishHARFORD
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD
Ecclesiastical ParishUGBOROUGH

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Earthwork remains of the early 20th century China Clay works at Redlake Mine and the associated railway, as well as prehistoric remains on Ugborough Moor

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: 441241
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX65NE/223
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • RAILWAY (XX - 1911 AD to 1932 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, SX65NE67 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV166647.

The Ordnance Survey gives the location as SX64636680 to SX65635712.


Royal Air Force, 1946, RAF/CPE/UK/1890, 1207-1230, (10/12/1946) (Aerial Photograph). SDV169268.


Royal Air Force, 1947, RAF/CPE/UK/2105, 3054-3059, (28/5/1947) (Aerial Photograph). SDV176920.


Harris, H., 1968, Industrial Archaeology of Dartmoor, 96 (Monograph). SDV149229.

The Redlake Mineral Railway was completed in 1911 for carrying men, coal for the steam-pumping engines, iron and general supplies from Bittaford to the works – not for clay. Seven and half miles long, and of a three foot gauge, the railway terminated on the southern slopes of Western Beacon, where connection with the clay-drying plant down at Cantrell, close to the Great Western Railway, was made by cable incline.
The railway took a general northwards direction from Bittaford to Redlake, but wound around according to the contours of the hills. First going around the western slopes of Western Beacon and Weatherdon Hill it took a slight eastwards turn, to continue north again east of Piles Hill and between Sharp Tor and Three Barrows. Passing Leftlake, the line wound over Quickbeam Hill, across Brown Heath, and eventually reached the clay works. Steam locomotives were used on the line, the three passenger vehicles, each capable of carrying thirty people, resembled mobile hen-houses in appearance. There were no ordinary brakes, but a centre buffer and coupling.
About a hundred men were employed in the industry, many of whom used to stay out at the works for weeks on end during the summer, and even in the winter when the weather was not too severe. They used to supplement their food supply by trapping rabbits, the remains of which warren can still be seen at several places alongside the course of the old railway.
By 1932 the enterprise came to an end and the railway was dismantled, the engines were blown up and sold for scrap and other equipment sold by public auction.


National Monuments Record, 1969, NMR SX6463, 2, (12/04/1969) (Aerial Photograph). SDV165976.


National Monument Record, 1969, SX6657, 1/1-3, 2/7-9 (12/4/1969) (Aerial Photograph). SDV166652.


Gill, C. (ed.), 1970, Dartmoor: a New Study, 222 (Monograph). SDV161800.


Minchinton, W. E., 1973, Industrial Archaeology in Devon, 27 (Monograph). SDV7016.

The Redlake China Clay Railway. Had one inclined plane and was opened in 1911 to transport workers, supplies and coal from Bittaford to the china clay works at Redlake. The clay was then piped down to Bittaford on the main line. The company closed in 1932. Parts of the track can be followed. The turntable can be seen above the incline.


National Monuments Record, 1976, NMR SX6460, 2, (12/04/1969) (Aerial Photograph). SDV157244.


National Monument Record, 1976, SX6558, 1/233-234, (22/4/1976) (Aerial Photograph). SDV166651.


Hankin, C. F., 1977-1979, Harford Parish Checklist (Worksheet). SDV149931.

The track was surveyed by R. H. Worth. Taking an easy contour round the hills the mean gradient over the whole length measured on Ordnance Survey 6 inch maps, was between 1:45 and 1:50. The track was ballasted to a width of about 3 metres, some of the granite coming from the clitter on the western slope of Three Barrows.
A steam locomotive was used on a single track, 3 feet gauge, of iron rails on wooden sleepers, some of the timber for which came from a wood near Corringdon in South Brent parish. After the business failed in 1932, the rails were torn up, and only the ballasted track and a few rotted sleepers remain. In recent years it has become a popular track for walking, for the children of Ivybridge. (Source date estimated 1977)


Hankin, C. F., 1980, An Archaeological Check-List for Harford (Un-published). SDV361875.

The track was surveyed by R. H. Worth. Taking an easy contour round the hills the mean gradient over the whole length measured on Ordnance Survey 6 inch maps, was between 1:45 and 1:50. The track was ballasted to a width of about 3 metres, some of the granite coming from the clitter on the western slope of Three Barrows.
A steam locomotive was used on a single track, 3 feet gauge, of iron rails on wooden sleepers, some of the timber for which came from a wood near Corringdon in South Brent parish. After the business failed in 1932, the rails were torn up, and only the ballasted track and a few rotted sleepers remain. In recent years it has become a popular track for walking, for the children of Ivybridge. (Source date estimated 1977)


National Monuments Record, 1980, NMR SF1743, 080, (9/4/1980) (Aerial Photograph). SDV161746.


Thomas, D. St. J., 1981, A Regional History of Railways of Great Britain, 91 (Monograph). SDV168.

The tramway opened on 11/9/1911 and was of three foot gauge and 7.5 miles long. Above the incline, locomotives were used taking workmen and coal up to the works and men and sand down. Apart from one break, traffic was steady until the company failed in 1932.


Wade, E. A, 1982, The Redlake Tramway and China Clay Works (Monograph). SDV166649.

The Redlake China Clay Railway. Built in 1911 to transport workers, supplies and coal from Cantrell in the south to Red Lake in the north, a distance of some 7.5 miles. The line of the track follows an easy gradient round the west slope of Western Beacon into Harford parish, across Ugborough Moor to the west slopes of Three Barrows and to Left Lake, across Quickbeam Hill and finally curving around between Brown Heath and Western Whitebarrows to the marshy and relatively flat ground at Red Lake.
Average gradient 1 in 48. The track was cut and ballasted to a width of approximately 4.27 metres with stones for the ballast taken from the clitter of small rocks on the west slope of Three Barrows. A crushing mill built in concrete stood beside the track here, and some of the debris can still be seen.
The railway was single track, with iron rails bolted to sleepers, some of the latter still being in situ in the Harford section of the track near Western Beacon.
At Cantrell there was a reservoir for supplying water to the locomotive: the site can still be seen, and also that of a turntable for the locomotive. An engine shed built in brick and iron stands in ruins in enclosed land at Cantrell.
In the 1920's the railway was used to serve the clay works at Left Lake revived at that time, and here the track was widened for a short length. It still crosses the stream at Left Lake by a brick single arch bridge. The railway did not carry the china clay which was piped down to Bittaford on the main line. The corporation ceased operations in 1932, and unsaleable equipment went for scrap. (Unattributed source author but thought to be Wade).


Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, 1985, Aerial Photograph Project (Dartmoor) - Dartmoor Pre-NMP (Cartographic). SDV319854.

Tramway extends from SX6505905 to SX65005856 for 700 metres and from SX65005804 to SX65005732 for 850 metres. Visible on Royal Air Force1946 and 1947 aerial photographs.
Also visible on various aerial photographs dating to 1980, 1976 and 1969. Recorded (runs SX66005735 to SX65005722, SX65005805 to SX65005855, SX65005905 to SX65816000).


Knights, R., 2014, Dartmoor Walks (Website). SDV356909.

Redlake railway was used for moving people and basic materials and is popularly known as the 'Puffing Billy' track (although on the map it is named as The Two Moors way).


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Line of the railway indicated on the modern map by a track running from the Redlake China Clay Works in the north to Bittaford in the south.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV149229Monograph: Harris, H.. 1968. Industrial Archaeology of Dartmoor. Industrial Archaeology of Dartmoor. A5 Hardback. 96.
SDV149931Worksheet: Hankin, C. F.. 1977-1979. Harford Parish Checklist. Parish Checklist. Digital.
SDV157244Aerial Photograph: National Monuments Record. 1976. NMR SX6460. National Monuments Record Aerial Photograph. 2, (12/04/1969).
SDV161746Aerial Photograph: National Monuments Record. 1980. NMR SF1743. National Monuments Record Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 080, (9/4/1980).
SDV161800Monograph: Gill, C. (ed.). 1970. Dartmoor: a New Study. Dartmoor: a New Study. Hardback Volume. 222.
SDV165976Aerial Photograph: National Monuments Record. 1969. NMR SX6463. National Monuments Record Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 2, (12/04/1969).
SDV166647Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SX65NE67. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV166649Monograph: Wade, E. A. 1982. The Redlake Tramway and China Clay Works. The Redlake Tramway and China Clay Works. Unknown.
SDV166651Aerial Photograph: National Monument Record. 1976. SX6558. National Monument Record Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 1/233-234, (22/4/1976).
SDV166652Aerial Photograph: National Monument Record. 1969. SX6657. National Monument Record Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 1/1-3, 2/7-9 (12/4/1969).
SDV168Monograph: Thomas, D. St. J.. 1981. A Regional History of Railways of Great Britain. A Regional History of Railways of Great Britain. 1. Unknown. 91.
SDV169268Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946. RAF/CPE/UK/1890. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). 1207-1230, (10/12/1946).
SDV176920Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1947. RAF/CPE/UK/2105. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Unknown. 3054-3059, (28/5/1947).
SDV319854Cartographic: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1985. Aerial Photograph Project (Dartmoor) - Dartmoor Pre-NMP. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England Aerial Photograph P. Cartographic.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #87136 ]
SDV356909Website: Knights, R.. 2014. Dartmoor Walks. http://www.richkni.co.uk/dartmoor/redlake.htm. Website.
SDV361875Un-published: Hankin, C. F.. 1980. An Archaeological Check-List for Harford. Devon Archaeological Society Publication. 11. A4 Comb Bound.
SDV7016Monograph: Minchinton, W. E.. 1973. Industrial Archaeology in Devon. Industrial Archaeology in Devon. Paperback Volume. 27.

Associated Monuments

MDV107445Part of: Redlake China Clay works (Monument)
MDV3066Related to: Blackwood Path, Ugborough Moor (Monument)
MDV24806Related to: Building at Red Lake (Building)
MDV25061Related to: Building at Redlake Clay Workings (Building)
MDV2988Related to: Butterdon Hill stone row (Monument)
MDV3133Related to: Cairn 340 metres east of Addicombe (Monument)
MDV5159Related to: China clay workings west of Western Whitebarrow (Monument)
MDV25058Related to: Claypit at Red Lake (Monument)
MDV25059Related to: Claypit at Red Lake (Monument)
MDV122902Related to: Demolished buildings at Redlake Clay Works (Building)
MDV122911Related to: Drains on the western side of Red Lake Mire (Monument)
MDV3117Related to: Enclosure and hut circles east of Addicombe (Monument)
MDV114612Related to: Foundations of a shelter on Piles Hill (Monument)
MDV4234Related to: Leftlake China Clay works (Monument)
MDV25031Related to: Mine shafts on the edge of Ugborough Moor (Monument)
MDV3098Related to: Quarry south of Western Beacon (Monument)
MDV14154Related to: RABBIT WARREN in the Parish of Harford (Monument)
MDV122889Related to: Redlake Cottage (Building)
MDV122901Related to: Remains of winding house at Redlake (Building)
MDV5693Related to: Rifle range near Piles Hill, Harford Moor (Monument)
MDV5662Related to: Stone alignment on Piles Hill (Monument)
MDV2889Related to: Stone row 400 meters south-east of Western Beacon (Monument)
MDV2890Related to: Stone row near Spurrell's Cross (Monument)
MDV5659Related to: Stone row on Ugborough Moor, near Glasscombe Ball (Monument)
MDV123441Related to: Trial pit near Crossways (Monument)
MDV25679Related to: VERMIN TRAP in the Parish of Ugborough (Monument)
MDV25680Related to: VERMIN TRAP in the Parish of Ugborough (Monument)
MDV24985Related to: Western Beacon south-east enclosure, Ugborough Moor (Monument)
MDV5158Related to: Zeal Tor or Redlake peat tramway (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV8082 - Survey of the Upper Erme Valley

Date Last Edited:Jul 29 2019 1:14PM