HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV31957
Name:Filleigh Mills


Filleigh Mills a large 19C building with adjoining mill house


Grid Reference:SS 675 279
Map Sheet:SS62NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishFilleigh
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishFILLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS62NE/63
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MILL (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1987, Filleigh, 31 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV89818.

Mill at Filleigh Saw Mills. Water mill. Mid 19th century. Roughly coursed stone rubble with slate roofs half-hipped at right end. Mill has three storeys & round arch window. Rectangular block with adjoining mill house of a two room plan with a service wing to rear.

NDAS, 1989, Untitled Source, 36 (Report - Survey). SDV320290.

It is now used as the estate timber mill. Other details: Visited in 1989.

University of the Third Age, 1995, Watermills in North Devon 1994, 44 (Monograph). SDV74915.

The buildings are in good condition. There is a grinding stone and indications of where the grain chutes were positioned. The River Bray still flows under the building and used to turn an undershot wheel which had now gone. The mill is still being used, though not as a watermill. Other details: Visited in 1994.

Bodman, M., 1998, Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 34 (Report - non-specific). SDV305931.

Bodman's Stag's Head Mill, Filleigh. Other details: 68.

COLVIN + MOGGRIDGE, 2000, Untitled Source (Report - non-specific). SDV62545.

Other details: Fig 4.

Bodman, M., 2003, Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 263 + 243 (Report - Interim). SDV325576.

Leases of 'Filleigh Mills' were mentioned from 1690-1820. In 1850 there was a miller at 'Stag's Head'. Saw mills at Filleigh were mentioned between 1842-1844. In 1994 it was called 'Filleigh Saw Mills' belonging to the Fortescue Estates & consisted of a five storey random stone building of five bays with an adjoining miller's cottage. The tail race was dry. Other details: Draft Report.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV305931Report - non-specific: Bodman, M.. 1998. Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 34.
SDV320290Report - Survey: NDAS. 1989. North Devon Watermills. 36.
SDV325576Report - Interim: Bodman, M.. 2003. Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 263 + 243.
SDV62545Report - non-specific: COLVIN + MOGGRIDGE. 2000. Castle Hill Park Restoration Management Plan: Interim Report (Final).
SDV74915Monograph: University of the Third Age. 1995. Watermills in North Devon 1994. Watermills in North Devon 1994. A5 Paperback. 44.
SDV89818List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1987. Filleigh. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 31.

Associated Monuments

MDV31958Related to: Filleigh Mill House (Building)
MDV63689Related to: LEAT in the Parish of Filleigh (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:May 4 2006 4:23PM