HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV32012
Name:Chapel of the Holy Evangelists, Killerton

Summary

Former private chapel of the Acland family, dated 1840. Now a chapel of ease within Broadclyst parish. The design was copied from the chapel of St James at Glastonbury.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 976 003
Map Sheet:SS90SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBroad Clyst
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBROADCLYST

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 4849
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS90SE/75
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (XIX to XXI - 1840 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

National Trust, 2000, Killerton Estate Archaeological Survey. Part 1. The Park and Garden, 14 (Report - Survey). SDV341106.

The design of the chapel of the Holy Evangelists was copied from the chapel of St James at Glastonbury.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

Chapel of the Holy Evangelists.
Former private chapel of the Acland family, now a chapel of ease within Broadclyst parish. Plans of 1838; executed 1840-1. C R Cockrell for Sir Thomas Acland. Built by Hooper of Exeter. Stone carving by Samuel Stead of Ludlow. Volcanic trap ashlar (Killerton stone) with fishscale slate roof. A single-cell building with shallow east apsidal sanctuary. Nave of 4 bays each divided externally by pyramidally capped buttresses, with projecting angle turrets on all 4 corners, the arrises with chamfers and attached shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, the upper stages (above parapet level) with 3 narrow round-headed openings to each side, and slated pyramidal caps and crocketed finials. A substantial battered wall plinth surrounds the entire building. West front: 2 stages and gabled-end wall; a central round-headed doorway of 2 2 orders with cushion capitals all in white stone separately gabled, stands forward of the plane of the lower stage; first stage itself slightly recessed and dominated by a wheel window, its surround of 2 orders (zig-zag and cable moulding), with one round-headed niche to each side; small round-headed window in gable wall; apex crowned by stone cross. Side elevations: 2 stages, the upper stage recessed (as front) with 1 large, round- headed 1-light window to each bay, all of 2 orders with a variety of zig-zag, diamond and bead moulding to south side only (the north window surrounds being unembellished). Corbel table and parapet. East end: shallow apse with 2 tiers of round-headed openings, each under superordinate arches, with pilaster buttresses between. Interior: 7 bays to nave; timber barrel vault, the principals coming well down side walls, resting on stone cushion corbels to either side of windows and at the level of the capitals to the internal shafts of the window arches which are deeply recessed, and decorated with a variety of Transitional motifs. Internal hood moulds. Corbel table runs below wall plate. Corbels to roof principals themselves rest on shafts that are brought down to break the cornice of the dado which is an arcade of intersecting arches. Tall chancel arch of 2 orders. One tier of windows to apse, with shafts carried down to ground, and a frieze of zig-zag. The whole interior is of white stone. Stone flags, and geometric designs to sanctuary floor. Furnishings: a good and complete set, contemporary with chapel. Wood seating in 3 tiers; arranged in Collegiate fashion; stalls at rear, each under separate gable, the central one taller and wider with reading desk. Stalls returned at west end. Front benches open-backed. West gallery (now an organ gallery). Stone altar table with Romanesque detailing designed and made by Arthur Acland-Troyte. Some bright coloured glass in west window; side windows with patterned glass designed by Dean Liddell. East windows with Evangelists, 1905. An important church built when Cockrell was 'at the height of his powers as an architect'. The patron decided that it should be a copy of the chapel of St James at Glastonbury, a building Cockrell considered to be the best of its date in England. It turned out to be a fairly free, but archaeologically extremely careful, copy of the model, the major deviation being the west wheel window (based on Barfreystone), inserted after Cockrell's consultation with leading figures associated with the Rundbogenstil. The external detailing appears to be completely intact and the Chapel is sited in a landscape of mature trees.


Brine, M. E., 2013, War Memorials (Website). SDV351333.

Killerton Chapel war memorial. A plaque commemorating Henry Somerset Allan, who fell during World War I.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Unknown, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV128271.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV128271Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Unknown. SS90SE24. Card Index.
SDV341106Report - Survey: National Trust. 2000. Killerton Estate Archaeological Survey. Part 1. The Park and Garden. National Trust Archaeological Survey Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 14.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #87362 ]
SDV351333Website: Brine, M. E.. 2013. War Memorials. http://www.devonheritage.org/WarMemorials.htm. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV21681Related to: Columbjohn Chapel, Broadclyst (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 20 2017 4:24PM