HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV322
Name:Manor Cottage, Dowland

Summary

Manor Cottage to the south-east of the parish church in Dowland was built in the 16th century and restored in the early 20th century. The building was originally a Church House before becoming Alms houses and subsequently a single dwelling

Location

Grid Reference:SS 568 103
Map Sheet:SS51SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDowland
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishDOWLAND

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS51SE/12
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 90895

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHURCH HOUSE (XV to XX - 1500 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Shown as four small adjoining buildings on 19th century map against the south-east wall of the Grave Yard.


Pearson, J. B., 1900, Church Houses in Devon, 210 (Article in Serial). SDV5752.

Records of the Charity Commissioners say that the church house was being used as a poorhouse in 1818.


Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 389 (Monograph). SDV17562.

"By deed of feoffment, bearing the date 15th May 1753, John Heard and two others granted and enfeoffed to Sir Stafford Northcote, bart., and eight others and their heirs, a messuage and dwelling house, called the Church House at Dowland, with power of appointing trustees when those then appointed should be reduced to four, three or two, at the election of the church wardens for the time being and of four other parishioners". At the entrance to the churchyard are two cottages of early 16th century date with oak mullioned windows. Probably the church house originally.


Copeland, G. W., 1960, Devonshire Church-Houses: Part 1, 125 (Article in Serial). SDV298102.

A picturesque thatched house to the south-east of the church and abutting into the churchyard. On the churchyard side the windows are restorations and/or copies of the original oak-framed ones, with round-headed lights and sunk spandrels. The wall on this side is of exposed stonework; there are good stone chimney- stacks, especially on the end gables. The interior somewhat modernised but retains a few original structural features. Other details: Figure 40.


Copeland, G. W., 1963, Devonshire Church Houses: Part 4, 163 (Article in Serial). SDV7678.

House was repaired out of the poor's rates and occupied by paupers of the parish and stated to be in good condition by the commissioners.


Egeland, P. + Richardson, D. F. L., 1974 - 1975, Development Control Consultations (Un-published). SDV346579.

Photograph of the churchyard side.


Department of Environment, 1988, Dowland, 61 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV5753.

House, formerly Church House. Circa early to mid 16th century, restored in early 20th century. Part rendered stone rubble walls. Gable-ended thatch roof. Brick stack at left gable-end, projecting rubble stack at right end and small stone lateral stack behind right-hand end. Plan: presently three-room-and-cross-passage plan but this may not have been the original arrangement since the central room is very small and unheated. The largest room is that at the left-hand end. Two storeys from the beginning. The rear lateral stack probably serves a first floor fireplace which, according to typical church house plan, would have heated the single large 1st floor room. In the early 20th century the house was restored and virtually refenestrated, in some cases imitating the surviving original windows. Exterior: two storeys. Asymmetrical five-window front all of early 20th century windows. On 1st floor is two-light chamfered wooden mullion to left, otherwise single light casements. Two-light wooden mullion windows on ground floor. At front of leanto against left-hand end is a two-light moulded wooden mullion window which has either been re-used or is contemporary with the others. To right of centre is early 20th century segmental arched chamfered wooden doorframe with plank door. Rear elevation has one original two-light chamfered wooden mullion with round arched heads on 1st floor to left of centre. A similar one to its right may be contemporary. The window beyond it and the similar one on the ground floor are early 20th century replicas. 20th century square wooden lights on ground floor to left and right. Interior: plank and muntin screen to either side of passage both have been rebuilt during the restoration but the right-hand one still has its original headbeam. Open fireplace with high wooden lintel in left-hand room. Central room has substantial chamfered ceiling beams. Wooden lintel to first floor fireplace which has been partly altered. Roof: two original principal rafters with curved feet survive. They have threaded purlins and ridge and originally had morticed collars. The roof timbers are not smoke-blackened.


Ellis, D. A., 1992, Dowland Past and Present, 42-3 (Pamphlet). SDV344172.

Manor Cottage built in the early 16th century. The original building had one fireplace at the western end where the brick stack is still visible. The cottages were still being used as Alms houses in 1858 when they were sold to the Barton Estates. At one time Manor Cottage land extended across the road to the south.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Manor Cottage in Dowland was Listed on 4th October 1960. Other details: LBS Number 90895.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 389.
SDV298102Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1960. Devonshire Church-Houses: Part 1. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 92. A5 Hardback. 125.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #87415 ]
SDV344172Pamphlet: Ellis, D. A.. 1992. Dowland Past and Present. Paperback Volume. 42-3.
SDV346579Un-published: Egeland, P. + Richardson, D. F. L.. 1974 - 1975. Development Control Consultations. Devon County Council Conservation Section Collection. Mixed Archive Material.
SDV5752Article in Serial: Pearson, J. B.. 1900. Church Houses in Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 32. A5 Hardback. 210.
SDV5753List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Dowland. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 61.
SDV7678Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1963. Devonshire Church Houses: Part 4. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 95. A5 Hardback. 163.

Associated Monuments

MDV321Related to: St. Peter's Parish Church, Dowland (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 15 2011 2:50PM